No Signal with spdf out from Kemper to M Audio Fast track C 400

• Dear all,

hope, you are all well and safe!
    I have a problem using my recently as used bought Kemper Power amp in spdif out for recording. Running into my Fast track C 400, I cannot get a signal.
    Main out L/R work fine with my audio interface.
    Anyone an idea, what the reason could be?
    Thanks & Regards
    Sigi

• Hi Sigi, welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper!

As per other conversation you know that I have the C400 as well (actually even 3 of them for different computers). I like it as it is pretty straight forward and delivers great sound. The only thing I find a bit awkward is the software mixer which comes along with it and might have some traps and pitfalls.

So how did you try to get the signal? I am using Cubase as my DAW. Main outs via XLR ins of the C400 come in on inputs 1 and 2 in Cubase. SPDIF comes on input 3 and 4. Have you configured something similar in your DAW?

Remember that when you have Kemper Toaster or Rack (as here) the Kemper needs to be set as clock master. So in the C400 Control Panel on the tab Setup you need to have Clock Source set to SPDIF - not internal. Careful as some DAWs might put own values in here. So check in your DAW config as well. Furthermore the Kemper is configured for SPDIF output set to Git / Stack. That way I have the dry guitar on the track coming from input 3 and the stack signal (without post effects) on the track coming from input 4.

I trust you have made the right cable connections from Kempers SPDIF out to C400 SPDIF in (and vice versa if you like to reamp (as I do it very, very often with all kinds of tracks from the DAW, not only guitars).

Anything helpful already? Otherwise we need to dig deeper...

• Hi deadman42,

thanks for quick reply!

I have Sonar home studio 7 as DAW. First idea was to connect the Kemper per spdif with the C400 to get the same sound as per headphones out recording without any conversion from digital to analog and back. So, from C400, the signal goes with USB into my laptop. Recording is with sonar DAW on a stereo single track first.
    You are right, the control panel is difficult to set, but I tried to set clock source to spdif. So far no signal coming to process further.
    Only thing that works so far is the signal coming from main outs from Kemper into C400 inputs. Recording works with this configuration, but the sound is slightly different if I compare the headphone outs from C400 to Kemper.
    So, I try to go through your hints and keep you informed and updated.

Thank you!

Regards

Sigi