Moonage Daydream-ish | My first recording

• Hi,

This is my first recording and using a DAW (ever). I did this to mostly learn how to record from Kemper, using the DAW (Studio one) and plugins (EZDrummer, EZBass, EZMix and others).

The great Marshall rhythm profiles (Katzbach JVM410) inspired me to start with this one although it's quite different than what I plan to record next with my ideas (more hard-rock/metal direction). I found an isolated track of David Bowie's vocals and added it as well.

In the end I was like 90% happy with it, but thought it's better to move on and start recording my own stuff. Now that I pretty much control the software.

It sounded a bit over-compressed to me first, so I've made it less compressed in the end, trying to give it some more air...

https://drive.google.com/file/…OpfVqrE9/view?usp=sharing

Not much to do about my playing.. It is what it is (I'm a self-taught "eternal beginner") :D

However, please share with my your advice about the recording/mixing/mastering.. What could I do better?

Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Thanks for listening.

• Great starting point Zenmaster , very well done! Really like how you did it.

The singer does a great job 8o ...cool idea to take such a track and work around it. I wonder how you managed to put it into the timing. But it fits really well.

I like the rythm guitar sounds, that's a great Marshall. Thick sound. Overall the guitars are a bit too upfront in the mix for me. Typical trapp for guitar player's mixes (I'm sooooooo guilty!). Especially during the solos the drums get too far in the background and are not very punchy any more. I need to listen to it rather loud again to hear what's going on in the lower frequencies and how the bass does. Drums overall a bit dry, could benefit from some reverb. Just my 2 cents :)

• Great starting point Zenmaster , very well done! Really like how you did it.

Thank you! :) Really appreciated. It's great to get such feedback for my first work.

The singer does a great job 8o ...cool idea to take such a track and work around it. I wonder how you managed to put it into the timing. But it fits really well.

Ha ha :D Ye.. He was pretty good.

I worked on the exact same BPM so overall it fitted pretty well inside each part, but I had to cut the parts where it started to be off and adjust it to fit (tiny movements trial and error). See the red track below.. Some were really tiny milliseconds adjustments..

I like the rythm guitar sounds, that's a great Marshall. Thick sound. Overall the guitars are a bit too upfront in the mix for me. Typical trapp for guitar player's mixes (I'm sooooooo guilty!). Especially during the solos the drums get too far in the background and are not very punchy any more. I need to listen to it rather loud again to hear what's going on in the lower frequencies and how the bass does. Drums overall a bit dry, could benefit from some reverb. Just my 2 cents :)

Thank you for all the suggestions. Makes complete sense..
    This loud guitars trap is indeed very big - you get to a great guitar tone and you don't want it to be buried :P
    I'll gather more feedback and then head back to a fixing session.