Profiling a pedal

• I noticed something yesterday and thought I would pass it on. I was profiling a pedal and started the profile by selecting a distorted sound that was close to what I thought I would wind up with. When I did this the reference sound was muddy. It was like the signal coming from the kemper to feed the amp/peddle was acting as a boost not just passing the guitar signal on to the amp. When I tried again and started with a clean sounding amp, the results were much better. The peddle sounded like it should and the profiled sounded much better.

• I've got it set up just like the manual shows. Guitar into the Kemper, the direct out/send of the kemper into the pedal, then amp for the profiling signal, a mic that returns to the return/input. When I did this with the pedal the signal coming out of the kemper going into the pedal/amp was muddy and it profiled that way. At first I thought the battery in the pedal was bad. I changed it and it still sounded bad. Then I though the pedal must be bad, I had just bought it. Its a wampler and they have a good reputation. Then when I tired the pedal straight it sounded great. So I tried again hooked up ready to profile but this time I started with a clean tone on the kemper side (tab). When I say this the tone or amp coming from the Kemper, not the reference tab was clean. When I did this the pedal responded correctly. I tested it again just to be sure by starting the profile again with a distorted kemper amp cued up. Same thing, the peddle was muddy.