Tip #8: Record the KPA

• It may be strange but I don't use the digital outs but the XLR's

Connect them directly to my Alesis Mastercontrol (audiointerface, mixer and controller)
    Record all with Cubase Elements 6 (about 100Euro's)
    Then I mixdown to wav (Elements can not mixdown to mp3)
    The last step is to cut, normalize, create fade in's/out's and convert to mp3 using Audacity (free)

What do you use?

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• The last step is to cut, normalize, create fade in's/out's and convert to mp3 using Audacity (free)

What do you use?

I recommend to never use normalization. Though it does not affect the actual sound quality in most cases, you can never be sure. Instead, record in 24 Bit and use a decent master limiter plugin with dithering to 16 bit. This will get you to learn a lot about the negative (and positive) effects of loudness maximizing and mastering chains as they tend to change to whole tonal behaviour of a mix and its transient contents.

Cubase user since 1994. I am using version 5 and 6 at home and at work. Since the last few years, i do all mixing and mastering inside cubase. For all waveediting and batch encoding, i use wavelab which has some awesome features i would not like to miss...

• The problem with normalization is not the process itself - as it doesn't change anything by definition - but you end up with pretty hot single tracks and those are the problem. Back in the days when Protools was fixed point (and many plugins ported over to VST as well) after you'd normalize a track you more often than not end up clipping the channel strip or the compressor you throw at it.

It is not so much of a problem today with 32-bit float but running 60 or more channels in the red might still influence the behaviour of the plugins later in the chain. And that sounds bad sometimes.

Personally I stopped normalizing takes when I went to record at 24 bit. It's just not needed anymore. And leaving more headroom gives less headache at mixing stage ;)

• Previously Nuendo and the last year Logic Pro 9, through Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56.
    Recording with Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and/or HD 280 Pro.
    Mixing with Genelec 8030, Sennheiser HD 800.

• Hi,

Running Sonar X1 through Edirol FA66.

I'm considering 'parallel amping' where I use the Kemper to split the signal into stereo, and record one channel of a Kemper profile and the other my miked up amp if that makes any sense. It should allow me to get a really good thick stereo sound.. I haven't looked at re-amping yet.

Neil

• Why you don't just double track?

Right, most of that "biamping magic" happens because of the slight delays that the different amps create. If you put that into mono, it sounds like crap or phases like hell. I always record 2 to 4 rhythm guitar tracks depending on the music style and complexity. When doing 4 track, pan them left, half-left, half-right and right. Put the most accurate takes to extreme left and right and use a sound with a little less gain and more definition for that tracks.