Connecting to Audio Interface - Spidf or Line in? Need advice please

• Hi Everyone.

I have a question I am hoping some of you can help me with.

My new Kemper is on the way and I am getting an audio interface so I can record. I am looking at the Presonus Audiobox 44VSL but it doesnt have Spidf. To get Spidf I would have to upgrade to the big dog the 1818VSL.

Do I need to use Spidf to connect my Kemper to my AI? What advantage does Spidf bring if any? If Spidf allows for better recording then I will get an interface with Spidf.

Could I just use 1/4 TRS cables and connect the Kemper that way to the Line inputs on my AI and hook my monitors into the Line outs on the AI?

Thanks!

• With spdif you have one stage less of A/D-D/A conversion = lower latency. It also makes re-amping a lot easier

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• One digital SPDIF cable can transmit a stereo signal. So you need one cable from KPA SPDIF out to your audio interface SPDIF in. If you want to do reamping you need another SPDIF cable from your audio interface SPDIF out to KPA SPDIF in.

Btw, im most cases a simple cinch cable from your HIFI will do.

• Thanks Tyler! Cool, I have one digital Spidf cable. My Kemper just arrived and I'm itching to try it out! After I play with it awhile I will post my review. Thanks!

• Thanks Tyler! Cool, I have one digital Spidf cable. My Kemper just arrived and I'm itching to try it out! After I play with it awhile I will post my review. Thanks!

It's always good to do reviews after at least a few days or weeks when you have had time to really explore what it can do. Then you also have more experience with it. A few hours of use is not enough for a full review of any product if you ask me.
    Initial impressions is another thing though.
    Have fun!
    :)

• OH...MY...GOD!

I hear you HappyKemper, I will wait awhile until I give my review. I may be away for awhile. :) I have already noticed a world of difference between my AxeII and the Kemper. It's refreshing to turn real knobs again! A detail review will come.......:)

• OH...MY...GOD!

I hear you HappyKemper, I will wait awhile until I give my review. I may be away for awhile. :) I have already noticed a world of difference between my AxeII and the Kemper. It's refreshing to turn real knobs again! A detail review will come.......:)

Ok, point taken! We will not worry if you don't show up int the forum again! ;)
    We' ll think you are lost enjoying your KPA :)

• Hey guitarmanjac,

I'm curious to which audio interface you went for in the end? I have a Focusrite Scarlett USB with 2 inputs and looking for a unit with more inputs. Can't decide whether I should take the S/PDIF route. I was originally thinking about the Presonus 44VSL but it lacks the s/pdif.