Wet/Dry/Wet - Where, When, Why?

• For those of you running Wet/Dry/Wet - what's your application? Where and why do you do it?

Is this for recording so you can separate the Delay and Reverb from everything else?

Do you use Wet/Dry/Wet when performing?

Edit: Adding this video for anyone new to the concept of Wet/Dry/Wet

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's a subject way over my head but I could see a wet/dry application when you want to use effects and your amp does not have an effects loop, or when you would want those effects to sound more pristine over a darker/warmer amp sound. Something like that. :wacko:

I can also see an application where the guitarist needs to perform his piece with his wet signal to "zone in" the track, but the sound engineer would want to remove the wet signal and apply a common one globally to all other instruments (like global delay and verb) in a mix.

Wet/dry/wet is like whaaaaaat? I'm still confused.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Typically you do it to allow the dry center sound to hit hard and heavy, while retaining a broad stereo field.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Hi, musicmad.

Are you using W/D/W live, recording, for rehearsal, or something else?

I like to run the same setup for rehearsal and live, but I may stray from that for exploring options or just goofing around. It's lots of fun, but I don't see it being practical to scale up for a live show except, maybe an intimate solo project.

• Typically you do it to allow the dry center sound to hit hard and heavy, while retaining a broad stereo field.

So, you would have dry on top of bass and drums or would you stereo/mono track the bass a little out from center?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• This is for live and rehearsal, although I don't do it live anymore as it's not worth it.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM