Best Way To Amplify The KPA For Home Use? I Really Need Advice Before I Order The KPA

• I've read a ton of threads on the KPA and I'm convinced It's a great solution for me. I spend six months in Ohio and six months in Florida. I'm looking to cut down on the gear (mostly amps) I haul back and forth. I'm thinking I could buy the KPA and set up either Studio Monitors, Small Amp etc at each location and take the KPA back and forth. My problem is with the amplification source. My only experience with studio monitors is a friends set of older Mackie HR 824's which sound fantastic in his studio. The footprint of the Mackie's is a little on the large size for my Florida location. At home in they would not be a problem. I auditioned studio monitors at my local Sam Ash, but their selection was slim. The best they had by a long shot (sound wise) was the M-Audio BX8 D2's. So that's the total of my studio monitor experience.

So hear is my problem. If I order the KPA, I'll also need to order a amplification source. After reading reviews on the KRK RP8G2's that said how great they were, then hearing them live leaves me afraid to order blindly. Between the M-Audio BX8 D2's and the KRK's it was night and day. I know how important the amplification source is to the KPA or any audio device. What ever I go with, I want to get it right the first time since I'll be buying on line. I'm really not trying to see how much I can spend on studio monitors or an amp source. Especially since I'll going with two of whatever. But, whatever I go with must sound great. Think rich sounding on clean tones.

I should say I play clean 90% of the time with a little overdrive (zendrive). I like a warm full tone that's still articulate. I can't stand thin sounding or trebley tone. I like smooth trebles. I know the KPA will have a lot to do with all this, but amplification/speakers will also have a big affect.

Please help me get this right the first time. What would recommend?

• If price is not a limitation I would go Adam A7x. Nothing better in the category.

many fully grown men™ really like the Adam A7X including me, I compared back & forth against the Dynaudio BX5a (another good monitor) and took the Adam A7X. They were a bit more in price but I just did a couple extra dancing gigs to cover the difference.

• Adam A7x

One review on the A7X said the bass response was lacking and it accentuated the mids. I know that is only one review, but how would you describe the bass response? How would you describe the sound in general? Is it capable of rich clean tone?

• My only experience with studio monitors is a friends set of older Mackie HR 824's which sound fantastic in his studio.

That's what I have and I agree they sound really good. Our music/sound person at work ordered a pair of the newer versions for our work studio (we do game development) and they were too large for her set up so she returned them for the smaller versions and she likes them a lot. So maybe a pair of the larger ones for your big studio and smaller ones for your small studio... or you could just use a pair of open back headphones at one location to save money and space. I picked up a pair of AKG K720s that I think sound really good and I got them used for $200.

• I have a pair of BX8-D2's and the KPA sings through them.
    I love cleans like you and all the sparkle and ringing warmth is there.
    One thing though - you need a bit of volume to get that nice thump too.
    At very low volumes (less than 20 %) the sound gets a bit sterile - so if your planning on keeping the volume low I'd look into some headphones as well.

• I've played the KPA though various studio monitors/speakers, from the cheapest M-Audio desktop speakers to top of the range Genelecs...they all sound great with the KPA.

Really? They all sound great? What are using now?

• I have a pair of BX8-D2's and the KPA sings through them.
    I love cleans like you and all the sparkle and ringing warmth is there.
    One thing though - you need a bit of volume to get that nice thump too.
    At very low volumes (less than 20 %) the sound gets a bit sterile - so if your planning on keeping the volume low I'd look into some headphones as well.

If the BX8-D2's have a rich warmth with the KPA, that would make me a happy Kemper. When I demo'd them at Sam Ash, they were playing junk I couldn't relate to. But your statement about how you need to have a little volume to get them going is something I hadn't thought of. I should be asking what Studio Monitors work well with low and higher volume.

• Really? They all sound great? What are using now?

Behringer B2301 "Truth"...they're cheap & LOUD. :)

The tone is all in the KPA, the EQ range is amazing.
    No matter what monitors you use, the KPA sounds like an amp through them, the 'thump', the 'clarity', it's all there even with the cheapest monitors.

• If the BX8-D2's have a rich warmth with the KPA, that would make me a happy Kemper. When I demo'd them at Sam Ash, they were playing junk I couldn't relate to. But your statement about how you need to have a little volume to get them going is something I hadn't thought of. I should be asking what Studio Monitors work well with low and higher volume.

The BX8's are good enough for a small to medium room.
    If you live in an apartment with thin walls your neighbours will complain.
    In a house it'll be fine.

In terms of the sound quality - why not take your KPA to a store and audition a few monitors?

• They might be a good value, but they're pretty heavy at 15kg. For me that would be a deal breaker. Aren't there smaller/lighter boxes that are also a good value?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• The BX8's are good enough for a small to medium room.
    If you live in an apartment with thin walls your neighbours will complain.
    In a house it'll be fine.

In terms of the sound quality - why not take your KPA to a store and audition a few monitors?

I haven't ordered the KPA yet. I wanted to make sure I didn't need to spend an arm and a leg for studio monitors/powered PA speakers to be happy with the sound I'm getting from the KPA. After reading replies to this thread, it sounds like I can use even the cheapest speakers. I'm a little skeptical about that. When I was trying speakers at Sam Ash using the same source, some of the speakers sounded so bad I couldn't turn them off fast enough.

• I have to agree with this!
    Since we're not talking about audiophile sound reproduction, the timbre of any device is even more subjectively perceived. For your happiness, do not trust anyone: you must take your KPA somewhere and try stuff by yourself.
    I believe few people would be disappointed by a gorgeous couple of RCF - NX12 SMA, but since we're talking budget here the subjectivity plays a much more important role IMO.
    Also consider that a cab which is not boomy with a strato can be muddy with a LP... this adds variables to others' perceptions :)