Amp Volume settings

• I realize this is subjective, but I'm looking for feedback on what others are hearing and feeling based on their volume settings. I run my Kemper directly to the FOH and use a powered monitor next to me to hear. I know that most of the info says the amp volume should be at 12:00 or at least start there, but I am getting a lot more feeling and response as well as the "amp in the room" feel (people talk about by adjusting the cabinet volume) by simply setting the amp volume at 3.0 (not 3' oclock) ~2:00 or close to it. Some amp profiles are really dark at 12:00 (with eq's as profiled), but when turned up slightly they really open up and I can get the feel and response at any volume the monitor speaker may be set at. I am typically setting the master volume at 4.0 - 5.0 and that allows the sound guys to turn FOH levels up or down, but the response and harmonics are really on and more noticeable. So are there any rules of thumb people have developed while messing with volume settings?

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• It has been stated several times, also by CK himself, that amp and cab volume don't change anything soundwise.
    They only level out different perceived loudness between different rigs.
    When you get a better feel and response with your speaker at higher levels it could be that your speaker needs a certainly level to work right.
    But you could easily simply turn up the master output to achieve the same.

• Ouch.. I've read the statements as well, but my question is pertaining more toward the second part of your comment. I'll see if anyone else has had some experience they can share with settings and as you stated speaker volume which is another variable that probably plays more with what I'm asking about.

• I use two at different places. An Alto 12" and JBL 15". Both are Full Range Flat response no eq. Volume only. They are PA speakers so it is a similar scenario...you turn the volume up and it gets loud for both Kemper or CD. I think it becomes a point of making sure the speaker and FOH are up loud enough to get to the point of hearing what I was talking about. The volume level also opening up some of the other rigs. There should be some level that from that reference point on you get full response and touch sensitivity and from there on out it is only an increase in volume.

• I'm all for turning it up. There are two variables at play though the Kemper volume and the speaker/monitor volume so having a good handle on those is what I'm after. There has to be a point on the monitors that once you hit and go past you are getting the result you want..it just becomes louder after that. Maybe the question isn't comming out correctly. For example running the output at xx decibel creates the clear responsive volume point on the equipment and everything after that is simply louder. No change in feel or dynamics, but below that it sounds less clear, not as crisp and responsive. I think I've found the reference point for the equipment just wandering if the logic is there so if something changes it can be reproduced.