Add wired connection to iPad and Remote?

• Hi guys, some help pls.

Since I can barely read the remote's small screen during live, I'd like to add my spare iPad mini to my pedal board as a display (mount to the nearby microphone holder).

I know there's a wireless solution that works fine, but I'm a little worried that wireless during the live performance does not so staple. I did some research, seems like a wired router should do the trick.

Profiler -----> Router <-------- POE Injector <----- Remote

(DHCP Server Enabled)

^

|

|

Lightning to RJ45 Adapter

^

|

|

iPad Mini 4

The problem is, the routers I've found (Ubiquiti ER-X, Mikrotik hEX Lite) are relatively big and require an additional power adapter, they couldn't fit in my board. I would like to replace the router with an ethernet switch, I've found a 3 port switch is much smaller and can be powered by USB.

I don't know if this could work, since Rig Manager(iOS) seems to use TCP protocol to communicate with the Kemper, they should need a DHCP Server(The router) to assign proper IP addresses, and a Layer 2 switch just can't do that.

But I've read in the manual that you can connect multiple Remotes to one profiler via a switch or hub, how did this work? did they have some IP address negotiation mechanism?

Any thoughts could be helpful, thanks guys~

• I was also thinking if something like this was possible.

How about the Mikrotik hEX PoE lite?

This can be powered by PoE and has PoE out on its other ports.

MikroTik
    MikroTik makes networking hardware and software, which is used in nearly all countries of the world. Our mission is to make existing Internet technologies…
    mikrotik.com

• When the switch does not get an IP Address from a router at any of his sockets, it will generate "dummy" IP Adresses in the range 169.254.nnn.nnn for the devices connected to it. So in this case the switch will work as a dhcp router. At least this is what is happening on my network where I use a TP-Link TL-SG1008P 8 Port PoE Switch. This should also appl.y to the smaller 5 port unit.

The Kemper will connect to the remote in this case. Anyhow no IPad will connect to this network unless you use a Wifi bridge. You can connect the Ipad via Ethernet cable to the switch ( you'll need an USB-C hub with Wthernet port for this) so it's not really nice, but you don't need the Wifi. This should work , but I have not tested it.

It would be nice when the Mikrotik router suggested would also have a Wifi.

Edited 3 times, last by cantemir ().