Kemper with Power Engine

• Has anyone used their Kemper through a Tech 21 Power Engine? I run through an FRFR speaker and I'm curious if it provides a more straight amp/cabinet like feeling compared to FRFR which is more miked amp/cabinet.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I have the power engine.

[Blocked Image: http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/756/img0229xd.jpg]

I really liked it, but the original speaker colored the sound, which was sometimes good, and sometimes not so good.
    I replaced the speaker with a neutral, fullrange speaker, now it's perfekt. Gives you the same great sound like over good headphone + the in room feeling of a real amp. I compared the KPA with my old Marshall JVM 410 and after the comparison, I sold the JVM. Especially if you can't turn up the volume like, because of neighbors etc. the KPA gives you the best solution.

I also prefer the look of the power engine compared to a PA speaker. I'm just waiting for my KPA skin ;)

• I bought one and found the same with respect to the cabinet sound. What speaker did you get? I am still playing with both but the main connection is into the power engine. I a/b with my Orange head and 2x12 cabinet all the time to see how adjustments change the output. I'm a straight forward person though so I like the plug in your guitar and hear the amp sound like an amp with maybe a little delay. This is doing the job for me. I don't like playing with additional eq's (stomp box section). I'm thinking about doing an adjustment to put the power and volume control on the front but have not fully decided to do that yet.

• I added bullet tweeters to my Tech 21 Power Engine 60,s.
    It turned out fantastic and they sound like LOUD studio monitors.
    PLUS they have a three band EQ to fine tune the sound.
    I bought the bullet tweeters from amazon cheap and a 3 inch circular saw at Lowes.
    I am thrilled with the results.
    Below is the original thread I read that made me go for it:
    Below that are pics from my mod.
    (get help if you have never done wood work! You could screw up your
    amp.)

"For the tweeters I added a set of Pyle 2 PDBT28 1 Heavy Duty 300 watt Titanium Super Tweeters.

The tweeter is 3" overall with a 1" dome. The Pyles came with a
    capacitor to filter out the frequencies below 2K. I was intending to
    put a more sophisticated crossover in, however I really like the result
    with just the capacitor.. It cost me about $50 and a 3" hole saw bit.
    The best part is it fits the cabinets and makes for a very compact
    stereo setup."

[Blocked Image: http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss316/baranger1/DSCF3007.jpg] [Blocked Image: http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss316/baranger1/DSCF3020.jpg]

• The speaker is now a V30? That is not neutral....does the tweeter and the V30 give you more of a full range coverage? Was that the idea compared to th 70/80 stock. Can you elaborate on the attachment of the tweeter? What wiring needs done direct or otherwise?

• The tweet takes the amp up to 20K frequency wise.
    Much like a studio monitor.

The tweeter is wired in parallel so negative to negative and positive to positive.
    There is a small capacitor wired to the tweeter that acts as a crossover to allow just the high freqs to be seen by the tweet.
    Its comes soldered in when you buy the tweet.
    The vintgae 30 or what ever guitar spear you use might get up to 4 or 5Khz.
    The tweeter starts there and goes up to about 20Khz
    Sounds full range to my ears.
    Bill

• OK bought one for $10 to try out.....now for the deeper question which may be asked elsewhere, but....I have an FRFR Alto 12" and the Tech 21 and can hear the range difference. If thr purpose of a profile is to accurately reproduce the amp & cabinet then why use a full response speaker that projects frequencies that the original did not? I have noticed a much closer representation/duplication with the Tech 21 however I hear a wider range (obviously) with the FRFR. The FRFR is not as bass driven as the cabinet. I like aspects of both just curious as to the why would people choose full response when the cabinet speaker that gets profiled is not full response.

• Bill, that´s fantastic, i planned to do the same thing for a long time but could not find any info about this.

However, i want to do it a little bit differently. I want to build some sort of addon speaker to my mixed speaker 1960 with just those tweeters in there. I thought about a small housing with up to four of those tweeters in there. I would also like to have a volume control and an input/output Jack in there.

What would be your recommendations? How many tweets would you place in there?

• tylerhb
    I dont think I would use more that one tweeter for each 12 inch speaker.
    Its pretty even now low to high frequency wise.
    Synth and acoustic sounds are great as well as the Kemper amp sounds with cabs on.
    Just a little box with a single tweet for each engine would be cool...
    Bill

Bill, that´s fantastic, i planned to do the same thing for a long time but could not find any info about this.

However, i want to do it a little bit differently. I want to build some sort of addon speaker to my mixed speaker 1960 with just those tweeters in there. I thought about a small housing with up to four of those tweeters in there. I would also like to have a volume control and an input/output Jack in there.

What would be your recommendations? How many tweets would you place in there?

• tylerhb
    I dont think I would use more that one tweeter for each 12 inch speaker.
    Its pretty even now low to high frequency wise.
    Synth and acoustic sounds are great as well as the Kemper amp sounds with cabs on.
    Just a little box with a single tweet for each engine would be cool...
    Bill

Yeah, i also thought one tweeter per 12 inch speaker. So i just thought that 2 or 4 tweeters would be cool for a 4 x 12 cab.

• FYI, Tech 21 previously marketed a full range Power Engine also, the 60t, for tweeter.
    I contacted Tech 21 regarding this, and they informed the the "bullet Tweeter" they utilized was made by MG, and the model was BT-2, and are about $13.00 direct from MG.

No one at Tech 21 could remember the capacitor used on the 60 T, but they suggested MG would be able to provide it.
    This was a bit ago that I was interested in this conversion, but it appears the BT-2 is still only $13.00.

• I'm very tempted to try a Power engine. I typically use no more than 2 amp models in a live performance so needing to emulate a bunch of different cabinets isn't really a concern for me in a live situation. Seems like adding a tweeter would allow use of cabinet emulation as well. However I'm kinda wondering if a full range open back cab would really sound good.

• No matter what you do it will sound like the 1x12 open-back cab that it is. Which is fine, it sounds good.

I'm actually quite acustomed to the 1X12 open back sound. I've simply never heard an open back 1X12 extended range cab. You switched from a Power Engine to a QSC right? What was your experience?

• I'm actually quite acustomed to the 1X12 open back sound. I've simply never heard an open back 1X12 extended range cab. You switched from a Power Engine to a QSC right? What was your experience?

As you would expect, they're very different animals. The PE60 is great for players who really want to retain the feel and "in the room" ambience of an open-back cab. The Beyma 12GA50 speaker I installed made me happy for a while. My acoustic simulation sounds in particular benefited hugely from that, and the amp and cab sims also sounded less homogenized. But eventually it became apparent to me that the project I was playing in at the time (guitar+drums duet where I was using octave-down FX to cover bass) required more bass oomph and volume. I decided that going FRFR made more sense. I could definitely get by with a PE60, but now that I've switched to the K10 I feel more confident that I know what my direct signal sounds like to the audience.