Time-based effects went double speed during performance

• Yesterday, during a live performance, the tremolo on one of my patches decided to double in speed. It is an 8th note in the patch, but it went to 16ths despite the screen still saying 8th. The kemper was receiving MIDI clock from the DAW, and the session was set to the correct tempo. It was fine for one run-through of the song, then wrong on the next one. Unfortunately, that one was televised. Not a showstopper, but annoying. Any idea what could cause this?

• I think, you make a wrong assumption. The PROFILER doesn't apply 16th notes by itself and while showing 8th notes at Tremolo Rate.

I assume the bpm were wrong. Which Tempo is set in the DAW project? And which bpm were shown in Rig Setting on page Tempo at that time? Were these in line or was bpm in PROFILER much higher?

Was there perhaps a MIDI loop? MIDI clock doesn't transmit a bpm value, but is like a heart beat. If the PROFILER receives MIDI clock twice it might be interpreted as higher bpm.

• I think, you make a wrong assumption. The PROFILER doesn't apply 16th notes by itself and while showing 8th notes at Tremolo Rate.

I assume the bpm were wrong. Which Tempo is set in the DAW project? And which bpm were shown in Rig Setting on page Tempo at that time? Were these in line or was bpm in PROFILER much higher?

Was there perhaps a MIDI loop? MIDI clock doesn't transmit a bpm value, but is like a heart beat. If the PROFILER receives MIDI clock twice it might be interpreted as higher bpm.

I understand that MIDI clock doesn’t send tempo information. I am sending clock so that time-based effects are in sync with the grid in ProTools. Like I said, in my post, the session tempo was correct and matched to the Kemper @ 90BPM (confirmed at time of error). The effect was timed perfectly for a full rehearsal session the day prior, and for two “practice” runs at the television studio. For the final run (taped for broadcast), the “tempo” light on the KPA remained in perfect sync with the metronome at 1/4 note, but the tremolo was doing 1/16th notes. After the taping, I confirmed that the Rig settings still showed the correct Tempo, and that the effect was still set to 1/8. I couldn’t be more certain of this. However, I couldn’t say what happened to make it so. At the end of the day, it is one element of a dense mix, and was not a showstopper, but great effort was spent to shape the tone/effects of this track, and something happened to negate it in the moment, so it’s a bit of a bummer.

• Nobody has have reported such an issue: bpm correct, note values correct, Tremolo faster than bpm and note values. Are you using Tremolo in the stereo Effects Section? Perhaps an issue caused by stereo versus mixing to mono.

• It sounds like, all of a sudden the rig decided to use Performance tempo, which was by chance set to a different (double?) value.

Would this make (clean) sense? LOL

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• "Use Performance Tempo" is a Performance parameter, so you activate or deactivate it once per Performance.

It doesn't happen by itself, but is set by the user.

The Performance Tempo takes effect in a Slot of a Performance, but only if Tempo is enabled in that Slot.

Pressing a TAP button or the PROFILER receiving MIDI clock enables Tempo for the Slot loaded, even if it was disabled before.

• Nobody has have reported such an issue: bpm correct, note values correct, Tremolo faster than bpm and note values. Are you using Tremolo in the stereo Effects Section? Perhaps an issue caused by stereo versus mixing to mono.

This guitar is always mono. If memory serves, the tremolo for this Rig is in the “X” block, so it would be a stereo effect. It has never been an issue at all before this.

• while the Effects Section is stereo, if you hear the effect in stereo or mixed mono or just one side of the stereo signal, depends on the output used and its source selection plus what the guy at the mixing desk does..

• while the Effects Section is stereo, if you hear the effect in stereo or mixed mono or just one side of the stereo signal, depends on the output used and its source selection plus what the guy at the mixing desk does..

Of course. I just mean that I don’t see how mono/stereo positioning of the effect could have had an effect on the note value of the effect. Something strange was at work here. Since this performance, we haven’t used MIDI clock, and the problem has not happened again.