Variable latency on preset switches when using MIDI commands from Ableton Live for Kemper

• Hello everyone,

I've been using Ableton Live to send MIDI commands to my Kemper Profiler for preset switching during live performances, but I'm having issues with latency. The problem is that the latency on the preset switches seems to be variable. Sometimes it's barely noticeable, but other times it's really bad and throws off my timing. I noticed that sometimes the display has switched to the new preset, the sound only switches later (this could take up to 1/2 seconds). The fact that the latency is variable makes it unworkable for me.

For the key player in our band, the MIDI switching works well with his Nord. Therefore I assume the latency is based in the Kemper. I already deleted a bunch of profiles, so my Kemper should work faster.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm really at a loss here and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rein

• I had latency issues, but was able to work around them for my current band. First, I switched to performance mode and this helped greatly. I also arranged performances so they matched my setlist. I.e., performance 1 = song 1, performance 2 = song 2. And then each slot in a performance covers all of my sounds for that song. Then I use simple CC changes only. cc 48 value 0 to move from one performance/song to the next in the set list. I do this at the end of the previous song (it switched the kemper but until I pick a slot I still have my last sound working for the ending of the song. Then cc54 value 1 to always go to slot 5, which i make the first guitar sound i need for that next song. then for any guitar change in the song (clean to dirty or to lead, etc...), i do a simple cc54-50 with value 1 to the proper slot. In ableton, I have the cc changes 1/32 note before the guitar part starts. That is (almost always) the exact right amount of time for the signal to get sent and the kemper to switch slots in the performance. One other thing I did was limit the length of my midi cable to 10 feet. I had a 20 foot cable but that seemed to increase latency.

hope this helps you out!

• yes, Performance mode is faster than Browser mode in switching rigs,

then also check at page 4/18 of System Settings (called Audio Setup) to have flagged ''Costant latency''

(I assume You're on the Last Released OS)

• yes, Performance mode is faster than Browser mode in switching rigs,

then also check at page 4/18 of System Settings (called Audio Setup) to have flagged ''Costant latency''

(I assume You're on the Last Released OS)

constant latency has no influence on the time it takes to switch from one rig to the next but determines the latency that the signal takes to be processed from input to output.