Stereo FX with Mono output

• I could probably experiment and find this answer but looking for a shortcut from someone who might know the answer.

When working in the studio I'll have the output set to stereo and have fun with some stereo FX like Univibe. The parameter "stereo is set to 100%.

When I switch to mono out for live feed to the board is it important that I also change the FX to "stereo 0%" (or 12:00) or will the mono "summing" do that for me?

In other words Is it different to have the FX in mono to a mono out vs. FX in stereo to a summed mono out? Is it important that I "reset" the FX I'm using live to mono?

I tried to make this as clear as possible.

• I just change the Main Outs from Stereo to Mono, never touched the Fx settings.....but I have different performances for Studio then I use Live

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Depending on which stereo effects you are using it could be better to avoid a mono mix with potential phasing issues and just connect one of the outputs either left or right channel with FOH.

• Depending on which stereo effects you are using it could be better to avoid a mono mix with potential phasing issues and just connect one of the outputs either left or right channel with FOH.

Let's see if I can describe my question better. My question was using mono out with a stereo FX vs Mono out and turning the "stereo" knob within the effect to noon or off. In other words is it necessary to turn the "stereo" knob in the setting to noon or will the summed mono output do that for you?

• Soundwise mono mix (Master Mono) is the same as setting all stereo parameters to neutral. But it's obviously more convenient for your temporary applictions.

As said before, just sending one side of the stereo spectrum can have advantages compared to the mono mix.

• As said before, just sending one side of the stereo spectrum can have advantages compared to the mono mix.

But wouldn't you potentially be missing half of the effect?

So if I have all my effects (post amp) set at 100% stereo and have the output set to mono, it should sound the same as having the effects set to noon (mono) and outputs to mono? I believe that's what you are saying.

• I always thought I had to have two sets of effects, one with the stereo parameter at noon for use with Mono out (for live use) and the other set at 100%( or whatever) stereo for Stereo output use. So I guess I can just leave all my FX 100% stereo for everything and just switch between Mono and Stereo main out for live to studio use. That's what I was hoping to do. I was just afraid I'd be missing 1/2 the effect when switching to mono out that way. Apparently the way the KPA sums the out prevents that.

• If all the effects sound good in mono, no problem, and no need to change anything.

I could have not asked the question and just found if I thought they "sounded good" or not, but I was looking for an answer from people that might understand the routing better and know if I was cutting something off I shouldn't be "on paper" not just using ears. It's really just a question of for instance using a univibe panned 100% stereo and what exactly happens to the two outputs when the master out is mono vs just having the panning set to 0 and master mono