Choose Source for Headphones!

• If possible, I'd like to be able to choose the external input(s) as a source for the headphones. This would allow me to feed a monitor mix to the external input(s) and run it to my in-ears. Or, to be able to receive a line level mono send into the mic input, and route that to the phones.

What do you think?

Best...H

• that´s already possible (manual p.128)

Auxiliary Input

The Auxiliary Input function allows you to feed a stereo signal, such as an mp3-player, into your PROFILER to play along with it. In the Output Section, the Auxiliary Input function is equipped with three mix controls: one to feed the aux signal to the MAIN OUTPUT as well as S/PDIF OUTPUT, and two others to feed it to the MONITOR OUTPUT and HEADPHONE output. This allows you, for instance, to add an additional monitor signal to your HEADPHONE output, while the MAIN OUTPUT stays unaffected.

• What I have found is I can have just the AUX show up in the phones by setting the Main Output to "off". This means I can send to the FOH via "Monitor Out" but I'd rather have the flexibility of keeping the "Main Out" active, as long as it isn't showing up at the headphone out.

It looks as though the XLR "Return" input could be used as a source for the AUX - meaning I could send a mono line level send from a mixer with the in-ear mix I need to the XLR.

OTOH, I can certainly experiment with adding a mixer signal to the AUX and blending it with the guitar signal, as long as I'm not also sending my guitar back in from the external mixer.

Still, it would be great to be able to have only the AUX show up in the phones.

Best...H

• Your text reflects a few misunderstandings.

You have been directed to page 128 of the Main Manual. Why don't you read that?

Conceptually, you leave the direct guitar signal in the HEADPHONES OUT and exclude it from the monitor mix you receive from the mixing desk instead. That's how people do it since it avoids latencies of the guitar signal.

• Peace Brother! I read it, and went to the relevant sections on the KPA, I probably explained poorly. The big point is, I don't want ANY of the direct KPA guitar signal to show up in the headphones unless I choose it. But, I want the Main Outs to still have guitar. Currently, whatever is the Main Output source will show up in the headphones.

The reason this matters is that it means one less piece of gear for the in-ears. Instead of using a wired headphone amp like a Behringer P1 I'd just use the KPA's headphone amp.

Yes, there will be some latency from the mixer (XR18), but I want the option of a pure signal from whatever source I choose and the ability to adjust. So, it is very likely that I would use the KPA into the headphones, but I'd need to adjust the mix between AUX and KPA/guitar.

Any clearer? (Thanks for taking the time to consider this.)

Best...H

• Regardless which Output Source you choose for the MAIN OUT or any other output, the HEADPHONES OUT always sends the Master Stereo signal. It's completely unrelated.

You cannot use the headphone amplifier of the PROFILER like an external headphones amp.

But: Many users including myself are using the Aux In to feed in the monitor mix and plug their in-ears into the HEADPHONES OUT. You just need to create a monitor mix without guitar signal and mix in your guitar signal locally. This has two advantages: You stay in local control of your guitar volume in relation to the monitor mix. And you avoid latency of your guitar signal. Therefor this is a best practice.

• Yep, makes sense. Only drawback is that lots of us only use one in-ear so we can keep track of the audience, so only one side of the stereo gtr. And of course this is bad for our ears, but it's a common practice.

I guess that means having a "mono" switch for the phones out would help as well.

Thanks again.

Best...H

• Probably, will try that. On the tours I have been on with well known artists this usually isn't an option. Even so, there is something about hearing the room, not sure having an ambience mic can help enough to make a difference.

A big part of this is that some band members interact with the audience, and for them the sonic connection is vital. For others, an enclosed & wonderful mix works great.

Best...H

• Your text reflects a few misunderstandings.

You have been directed to page 128 of the Main Manual. Why don't you read that?

Conceptually, you leave the direct guitar signal in the HEADPHONES OUT and exclude it from the monitor mix you receive from the mixing desk instead. That's how people do it since it avoids latencies of the guitar signal.

Hi, KPA here. I often have only a mono bus with the band mix from the mixer, is there a way to hear it both on Left and Right channels of my headphone out without using a splitter to feed both aux inputs? Thank you