Kemper Fidelity

• Hi Guys,

I bought this two weeks ago and still playing about :), Being honest I'm a little sat on the fence about it at the moment. There seems to be something missing and this may not be the Kemper's fault, when recording palm mutes etc. seem to disappear a little and the general quality of it doesn't seem as good as it should. Also when listening to it, there seems to be a bit of weird phase going on somewhere so it comes down to is it my interface AD / DA? (Allen and heath Zed R-16) Which is $2499.99 new so it's not cheap and only heard good things (I'm recording XLR to XLR into A&H pre. Although for some reason this unit does not have S/pdif so I'm wondering if that could make a difference recording via S/pdif?

I attached an example one is mixed with a limiter (So turn down to listen to that), the other is a seprate profile with nothing but panning.

http://soundcloud.com/theshado…emper-metal-test-mastered (EVH 5150)

http://soundcloud.com/theshado…mperfireball-noprocessing (Engl Fireball)

• Well its a good desk, I have one of these at my home studio :)
    Bypass the Pre's is all you need to do, so use line level (bal)
    your dont need to go into another pre on main out.

Having said this, I dont think this will fix the phasing problems. - it might be the profile, it might be something else (I remember reading about it here on the forum, a few others were experiencing phasing problems when they multitrack guitars) - but cant find the post now.

Also are you on FW 1.1

Also, the Zed has amazing EQ.. so you might want to reroute (the master out from DAW) back through the desk again and back into the daw, this will give you a MUCH better sound that using the codecs in your DAW. just a FYI.

• I do route it through the Zed for some analogue summing, but I'll be honest I don't use the EQ's because it's a nightmare having reset them all the time when working on different tracks. I'll try line level, I didn't have a spare XLR to TRS / Unbalanced hanging about :)

Edit: Sorry yes I am on 1.1

I didn't actually have these issues recording from an actual mic with a 57 / MD421 combo. Which that combo is asking for trouble :) Two close mic's and phase LOL,

• before profiling, set up the 2 mics and then record a second hitting a string with your pick
    zoom into the waveform and look how the signals from booth mics align...if they are not in perfect line, move one of the two mics some milimeters to or from the speaker and redo the recording...do this till the waveforms aligne perfectly.

then profile

• before profiling, set up the 2 mics and then record a second hitting a string with your pick
    zoom into the waveform and look how the signals from booth mics align...if they are not in perfect line, move one of the two mics some milimeters to or from the speaker and redo the recording...do this till the waveforms aligne perfectly.

then profile

I always do, I have been an engineer for around 10 years. BTW these profiles are from the exchange rig and are a single SM57, so I'm not sure how you could really get them out of phase?

• Can you try a different profile?
    It might just be that..

So I have tried the Till Recto, Ola *Special* :) Patch, Fireball Metal (1,2,3) EVH 5150 Magik 1&2.. They are all sounding pretty weak in a mix :(.. So I had a laney ironheart before.. I mic'd it and it really jumped out and give you too black eyes LOL! Shame I didn't like the fizzy distortion on it.

• Not really hearing anything weak in the EVh or out of phase really. The powerball was more scooped which will make them not sit as up front. I don't experience what you are experiencing and in fact for me the kemper recordings have sat the best in a mix bar non (digital direct). of course the more you track, the more phasing you may run into, specially if there is timing differences with the same sound.

Palm muting and all have worked great for me..

• Not really hearing anything weak in the EVh or out of phase really. The powerball was more scooped which will make them not sit as up front. I don't experience what you are experiencing and in fact for me the kemper recordings have sat the best in a mix bar non (digital direct). of course the more you track, the more phasing you may run into, specially if there is timing differences with the same sound.

Palm muting and all have worked great for me..

Care to post a clip? I only track twice, one L one R...

• Ok so I believe I'm getting further, I used an unbalanced from the kemper to the desk.. It seems to sound better, but I'm getting quite a bit of digital corruption going on. I turned down the clean sense to non, lowered the master volume very low and backed off the amp volume (And bass) and I still see it going red some times in output when chugging?

I ordered an MOTU for live work I'm going to bypass the whole chain and record via S/pdif when I get.

• Have posted several clips in the past. Maybe search out my posts in the music forum. If not I will find a link tomorrow