MBox Studio S/Pdif, Logic Pro and Kemper SOLVED

• I just might have made the biggest mistake ever. In the quest of a setup, that works for me, I discarded the RME Babyface Pro FS and purchased the Avid MBox Studio. The S/Pdif signal I wanted to use with my Kemper isn't reaching Logic Pro correctly though. I might have been better off buying a monitor volume controller to balance the volume from the Kemper and the DAW. But now I'm here...and trying to get this thing to work.

Tried contacting Avid, but they send me to Logic Pro and will not help me and Apple is pretty darn difficult to reach for support unless you want to spend your day on the phone with a young local Apple support guy, that knows very little about Logic Pro and mainly help people with setting up there iPhones etc. I see nowhere a support ticket can be made.

Problem: I run S/Pdif from the Kemper into the MBox Studio. From there I get the signal in the MBox Control, which is the software mixer that runs alongside the MBox. I see AND hear both the DI signal and the Stack signal, I send from the Kemper. So the S/Pdif signal from the Kemper reaches the MBox just fine. What happens from there is a mystery. In MBox Control the mixer portraits the S/Pdif channels as 11 and 12. So does the audio/midi settings on the Mac. In Logic Pro however something weird happens. Input 11 brings in what I believe must be the Stack signal (a distorted signal) and according to the MBox Control the DI signal is input 11, since the DI signal is coming in as LEFT. On input 12 in Logic Pro there is another distorted signal, which kinda sounds out of phase. It's the other signal plus some weird digital noise stuff on top,

Sample rate is 44,1 in all places (Logic Pro, Kemper and MBox Studio). I tried running the MBox Studio clock source as both internal and S/Pdif. I run latest Mac OS, latest MBox updates and lates non-beta Kemper updates.

I see why people tend to love RME, because it just works. And it did. The Babyface just didn't suit my needs. Damn, I feel silly buying this thing right now.

• b_ryan

Changed the title of the thread from “MBox Studio S/Pdif, Logic Pro and Kemper” to “MBox Studio S/Pdif, Logic Pro and Kemper SOLVED”.