Getting increased noise when profiling an amp

• I have just attempted my first profile with my Stage. Trying to profile my Suhr Badger 30 with low/mid gain settings for a light crunch. The amp on its own is dead quiet. but when I plug the guitar to the Kemper input then the send to the amp input im getting a lot of increased hum and noise. the noise doesn't go away when the guitar volume is down. Im using a 15 ft and 12 ft mogami cable for both. one is longer since its running into an iso booth.

Is there a reason I might be getting a lot of increased noise? am I just using too long of cables? are there internal settings that I need to tweak in the Kemper?

Edited once, last by Amcolan ().

• The Kemper is an electronic device that is plugged into the wall. It will make more noise than a guitar generically. But it is usually pretty clean.

Things to look at are:

- The Kemper should be connected to the same power source (outlet) as the Amplifier. Or you will get GROUND LOOPS where small amounts of current are flowing on the cables because the Amp and Kemper are not at the same GROUND voltage/potential.

- If the Kemper is connected to a PC with a USB cable, you will get a bunch of noise. It is best to remove the USB when profiling. May help if the Computer is also on the same power source.

- Cables are antennas. The longer the cables used from the Guitar/Amp/Kemper, the more noise and the less Guitar/Kemper signal you will have. This is called signal to noise ratio.

- Computers are noise generators. Even if not connected to a PC, you will pick up noise being transmitted from the PC. Always keep the guitar/Kemper/Cables as far away from the PC/Monitor as possible.

You may be able to go into the Kemper and try lifting GROUNDs on inputs/outputs to see if it stops the ground loops.

• Any pedals should go between the Kemper and Amp. When the profile is happening, your guitar is not being used. To get the pedals gain and tonal characteristics the Kemper needs to put its test signals thru the pedal and amp.

• Damn this Kemper is cool. The profiles of the badger came out amazing. Took a few try’s to move the mic around a bit but sounds identical through my FR cabs as it does through my guitar cab.

I see a lot of demos where people are tweaking the definition and compressor before saving the profile. I don’t see those parameters. I only see clarity and supply sag.

• So I have been able to make profiles without any increased noise until I tried summing two mics in mono through my apollo. When i send the out from the apollo to the return on the kemper I get a loud 60 cycle hum. Any idea how I can fix this? both the kemper and amp are plugged into the same outlet but the apollo is not. could that be the issue? they arent close to each other so its not really possible to plug the apollo into the same outlet.