Got a Kemper again after 10 years - what should I know? And PA + guitar cab question.

• Again, thank you all :) I'm more and more hopeful that FRFR will be a good solution with the Kemper.

Thank you for being so detailed and informative. Wish I had the funds for JBL SRX series. I'd be very interested to learn the model of the EV monitors if you can check that.

I have a pair of these EV M-12G (guitar monitor cabs).

These have EVM- 12L Series II inside.

• Turbosound is now owned by Behringer/Music group. As midas and other pro audio brands are. We have installed some 15“/1.4“ Tops, they sound decent.

• There is nothing wrong with using a cab with the Kemper if you like that cab. I often use it as a preamp into a powerstation with a 90s Mesa 2x12 and a newer friedman cab a lot.

Sometimes I prefer it to the FRFRs and monitors. A lot of that has to do with the fact the mesa cab is magical.

• Many people get a Kemper and just think it will sound perfect right away. But there are definitely some adjustments that should be given consideration to get the most out of the unit. All the tools to get a great sound are available in the Kemper. You just have to know to use them and know how to use them.

-Adjust the Low and High filters in the Output Menu. This is a must. With them off the Kemper is extremely bassy and everything will sound bad. No amount of ‘in-profile’ eq’ing will get rid of that mud until you adjust these filters. Looking at my unit, I have Low Cut set to 159.4 Hz and High Cut at 21689.1 Hz, some people like to adjust the low cut around 80 Hz. Just experiment, but this is a good starting point.

-The ‘Definition’ control is the most important control for a profile in my opinion. Think of it as a pre-gain Bass control. Lower settings with be thick and flubby sounding. It can work well for lower gain and clean profiles, but for higher gain I think somewhere between 6-10 is the sweet spot. If you use a profile and find it too bassy or too thin, check this setting and adjust accordingly. With some profiles this being set high to 10.0 will result in a clangy high end and ‘cocked-wah’ type sound. I also check profiles to see if ‘Clarity’ is on. I don’t like high settings of that control. Best used in moderation between 0.0-1.5. With ‘Clarity’ off there are more highs, with it on slightly is seems to smooth out the high end a bit.

-Output EQ’s. Don’t be afraid to adjust these. For ‘Main Output’ it’s best to set up your live sounds through a PA/headphones. If you find you need more/less lows or highs you can make the final adjustments here without having to re-EQ all your patches. For ‘Monitor Output EQ’ with ‘Monitor Cab Off’ running into a guitar cab with a power amp, I use this EQ to tweak my power amp voicing. Some of the small solid state pedal power amp options need some extra EQ help, some are dull in the high end or have an inherent mid-spike. You can use this to get that overall voicing where you want.

-Monitor Cab Off. With a guitar cab you want this setting checked so you don’t get cab sim through your cab. But one interesting thing I find is that whatever cab I have selected still slightly affects the Monitor Out sound in a guitar cab. If you have a muddy IR or cab selected it will affect your Monitor out in a bad way. Once I found the perfect cab for my main high gain patch with headphones on, I was floored by how good it sounded through my guitar cab also. I noticed when I changed the cab to something else I could hear the effect it was having, especially on the high end of the profile, through my guitar cab. Strange, but worth noting.