In ear filter

• Probably wishful thinking, or already available but it do most of my gigs with in ears and there’s a strange immediacy, like you’re standing right next to the speaker. I was wondering if there was an eq/spatial adjustment that would take the edge off. If not it would be a great button

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Problem is that my in ears come from the desk

Then you can never get what you ask for, since it’ll affect the sound you send to the desk.

Get a mixer yourself. Have everything else (except the guitar) come from the FOH desk to your mixer. Patch up the headphone output to your mixer. Run your in-ear from that mixer.

Now you are in control of your own sound in your in-ear. Including your level, and eq, and it wont affect the FOH sound. Add to that your days of requesting more/less of yourself in your monitor is over.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Then you can never get what you ask for, since it’ll affect the sound you send to the desk.

Get a mixer yourself. Have everything else (except the guitar) come from the FOH desk to your mixer. Patch up the headphone output to your mixer. Run your in-ear from that mixer.

Now you are in control of your own sound in your in-ear. Including your level, and eq, and it wont affect the FOH sound. Add to that your days of requesting more/less of yourself in your monitor is over.

Cool idea

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I send the Headphone Output to a single rack space mixer, and combine it with my received Monitor mix.

As a bonus, most of the FOH engineers in my area make it possible for musicians to adjust their own monitor mix, using a phone or tablet. They also save the monitor mixes, so the next time you are working with them, you start with the monitor mix from the previous gig. That can make soundcheck go very quickly.

• Unfortunately thiswas the best picture i could find. You need to click the picture to see it; In the top rack i have all my monitor stuff (plus slave amp if i am at a gig where i bring a cab) including a rack mixer so i can get a feed with everything else, and then i run a line from my headphone amp to the rack, and take care of my guitar monitoring myself.

Actually i also have a split for my vocals in there, so i don’t need to bother anyone else with my vocal monitoring either. All my levels one step away, instead of an open mic announcement (more myself in the monitor) away.

There is also another positive sideeffect of this. If the soundguy is clueless, at least he is not f…..g with the most important levels, those of myself. Bad in-ear levels will make my performance suffer.

On very small gigs i don’t even have anything but myself in my in-ears. There is enough leakage through the skull to my ears of everything else. Gotta ramember that the point of inears is to protect your ears from high soundpressure levels, and just using them as earplugs, with a bit of yourself in them is a good way of keeping levels down.

• Indeed. My Problem with iem is often, that I hear too much of my voice via the bone. That makes things muddy and difficult for intonation. Only thing I can do is to increase the level on my iem, or to leave out one bud.

• Indeed. My Problem with iem is often, that I hear too much of my voice via the bone. That makes things muddy and difficult for intonation. Only thing I can do is to increase the level on my iem, or to leave out one bud.

A very well meant word of warning. The way our “brain hears” will make you play very loud in your buds if you only have it in one ear. This is because you will try to drown out the sound pressure of an entire band coming in unfiltered from the other ear. As i said, in-ears is meant to protect our hearing after all. I know quite a few who made that mistake and now have a busted hearing on one ear.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• You do have a "mixer" built in the Kemper. I run a single cable from the mixer monitor send for me into the Aux stereo inputs on the Kemper, L + R. Then take the headphone out on front and go right into my in-ear system. With the correct output settings, you get a mix of the IEM input and your guitar (in my case, bass) right out the headphone jack. Hit the Output button scroll to a particular screen and you have the ability to change the level of that aux input with a knob. It works perfect. WHen I get to a gig, we do a soundcheck, and all I have to do is turn this knob to get a new balance of my bass and everyone else. It changes slightly per room I find. Then I'm good. If I'm playing along and want a touch more of my bass, I just go in there and turn down everyone else a few clicks, and I'm all set.

I wanted to purposefully not use a separate mixer as I wanted my whole setup to fit in a 4 space rack. But I used a cheapo Rolls box to do the same thing. There's one in particular that combines a stereo input for your IEM feed, a mono/stereo guitar input, and even a xlr mic input with passthrough. So that would accomplish the same thing without using the Aux inputs on a Kemper. The Stage can do it, but you don't have an Aux input, so you can use the Return inputs instead.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.