Mic Preamp over USB audio

• My old Eleven Rack has a front Mic input with 48 V phantom power. Now we have USB audio capability with the Kemper. It has a mic input at the back for profiling purposes. Would it be possible to use this mic input to record with a mic in our DAW via USB audio?

• Official Post

This feature does already exist since OS 9.0. "Return Inputs" is available as Output Source for S/PDIF and USB. Check out page 127 of the current Main Manual.

Return Inputs

Head and Rack models source signal from RETURN and ALTERNATIVE IN; Stage sources signal from RETURN 1 and 2.

The PROFILER doesn't provide phantom power.

• The only issue I can see is that the KPA doesn’t have 48v phantom. Although repurposing the Return XLR for recording mic might be possible with only a software update, I would be surprised if phantom could be added without hardware updates.

I got myself an XVive P1 portable phantom power. Its battery powered, charging via USB and lasts forever with one charge. Its only about 50 bucks and very clean and transparent sounding.

I started to "abuse" the profiler for mic recording with a Blues Harp mic from Hohner which I just connected to the guitar input and used an AC30 profile for the grit. Great!

Meanwhile I am also recording vocals through the guitar input. The profiles of choice would then be the channel strip profiles such as Liquid Neve or Liquid Telefunken. By doing so you can also use the FX Stomps for Equalizing , Compression and Reverb. You can record DI and get the dry mic while still monitoring WET.

I saved a special MIC-Performance for that purpose. My profiler stage - once purchased for practicing in my living room - now became a kindof top notch multitrack demo recorder for ideas or demos.

Ne travaillez jamais.