S/PDIF clicks in 48kHz and 96kHz only

• Hello,

I have problem and am trying to see if others have similar issues, maybe possible fixes for it.

I experience clicks in the S/PDIF signal, but there are a few strange things around it which makes it interesting. Here are the facts:

• I am using my Kemper Head unit with S/PDIF in and out via a Focusrite Clarett+ 4pre. I am only using the digital i/o, no analog at all. (I prefer clarett+ preamp sound, and convenience with reamping)
    • It is an older unit, so it acts as the master clock.
    • I have been using it for a few weeks now without any problems. I am using 75ohm coaxial cables for both in and out. Both cables are about 2-2.5 meters long.
    • Problem started to arise recently (few days ago maybe).
    • I cannot recall if it is related to any profiler update or not. I usually keep the latest non-beta version, which as at the moment: 10.2.2.49572
    • Clicks started to spice the my sound at degree that it is unusable anymore.
    • The most interesting part: The clicks are only there at 48kHz or 96kHz of S/PDIF clock frequency. They are completely gone at 44.1kHz or 88.2kHz

Does anyone have any idea?

• What sample rate are you using? 44.1 @ 128 samples might be good but going to 48 @ 128 can introduce artifacts (clicks and pops). I can go as low as 48 @ 64 samples as long as I am not using a lot of DAW effects but I have 16GB of memory on the PC. Probably need 32GB of ram and at least an I7 CPU to do lower. This is on a MOTU M4 interface.

Using the Kemper USB interface, best I can get is 44.1 is at 126 samples. Kemper USB only does 44.1k

And welcome to the forums!

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• And welcome to the forums!

Thank you! 😊

Actually I was not using a daw. It is just the Focusrite with direct monitoring, so the problem wasn’t the buffer size. It could be a sound card bug as well.

The funny thing is that right after I started this thread, I restarted the Kemper. It works since that, and this time the problem does not come back. Maybe the cure is just to write on the forum :)

Thanks for the hints!