Cubase Automation of the Kemper via USB

• I'm using Cubase to change rigs during our live shows. I still use a midi interface though. Haven't switched to midi over USB on the Kemper just yet. What are you struggling with?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• The automation lane in a DAW is not MIDI-based but is meant to be used to control plug-ins and track related stuff like panning and volume.

To control the Profiler from your DAW you need to create a MIDI track and send the relevant MIDI commands to the Profiler by assigning the Profiler to be the MIDI device for that track. You can find a list of control change commands that you can use with the Profiler in the main manual.

• I do it in logic. So no project to share.

But maybe this can help you out ... except for the language.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• I'll have a go with USB2midi soon and send you some examples.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Ok. Got to try the USB2Midi as well. Works out of the box. So in Cubase you make a midi track and make sure the output is set to "Profiler":

When the song hits the solo I want to activate the 4th rig in the 2nd performance ("Lead" rig):

You need to calculate which program change to send. So each performance has 5 rigs. First performance covers program change 1,2,3,4,5. Second performance covers 6,7,8,9,10. I wanted the 4th rig in the 2nd performance so that means program change 9. So I program that in the midi editor:

And then once the solo is over I send program change 8 to get back to the rhythm sound. Activating individual effects is done with control changes in the same way.

I'm sending on channel 1 in the above example. You might have to select channel 1 as well here:

Does that help?

Edited once, last by musicmad ().

• Thank you Musicmad.

How do you set up the midi track and enter values on the Kemper Track?

I am working with midi since ages but do not fully comprehend how to use this in Cubase.

Regards

• First you add a midi track.

Then you "paint" on a midi part with the pencil tool for the whole duration of the song.

Then you double click on your new midi part to open the midi editor.

At the bottom you make sure program change is selected.

Then add a point at the right time.

Select the point and edit the program change precisely to the top left.

• Great. You don't need input to be Profiler, but if it works, it works :).

Regarding the number of lanes there are probable ways in Cubase to organize this. I take it you need a lot of CC changes to change effects on/off?

• Probably eight :/

You can activate/deactivate the stomps … but basically way too much. Notes might benetzet c for activation of stomp „c“ a and cis for deactivation of the stomp 🤓

Anyway Cubase and/or my Kemper are crashing with Cubase PCs…