How do you eliminate string squeak on Bass guitar?

• There are two general electric bass setup approaches. One is very low action which requires softer string plucking and that results in less sustain. The other is higher action which allows for harder plucks and more sustain.

That's not the whole truth. There is also a third option. Low-middle action and heavy plucking. The buzz as a part of the sound. Not unusual.

"I let the amp do the work not the string." A strange statement. That's not possible.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• That's not the whole truth. There is also a third option. Low-middle action and heavy plucking. The buzz as a part of the sound. Not unusual.

"I let the amp do the work not the string." A strange statement. That's not possible.

Yes, it's not the full picture of all possible setups. They why I qualified my statement with general.

The strange statement is possible with respect to high action allows for heavy plucking before the buzz starts. This allows the string to generate more volume compared to lighter. This is where the amp can compensate.

Gary Willis is on example of a low action, light plucker that let's the amp do the work. Jeff Beck also did, but on guitar. There are many other examples of low action players with light touch that let the amp do the work.

Anyway, this is all off topic from the question.