Leveling issues

• Hello I have done three shows with the keeper stage unit and I have learned a lot about the unit and how to get the best out of it however I continue to struggle with leveling the different slots in a live situation. I have reached out to keeper directly and they have given me some direction which I have followed however I have spent way too much time attempting to level the unit on my own. I know you are to perform the leveling at gig volume which I have attempted to recreate at my house with own PA however it is not translating to the venue which is incredibly frustrating. At this point I am happy to pay someone to fix this issue. Anyone?? :cursing:

• One of the issues is the variety of tones available. Are you sticking to a core set of profiles, or using a bunch of contrasting ones?

Many FOH engineers find it hard when you use a number or different cab profiles in a show. With the drums and bass EQd right and the pocket for the guitar sorted, if you suddenly swap to something distinctly different, your sound will get eaten up.

Straight volume is often not the issue, but frequency levels compared to the rest of the band.

• There is really no way around doing this in a rehearsal. Your ears will trick you without the sound of the context i.e. the other instruments.

A good long rehearsal where you tweak and tweak untill you’ve gotten it in the ballpark, and then a couple of gigs where you take notes and tweak a bit more if necesary.

I will also say this: Not all instrumentalists are good at judging their levels. We all know the ones who never turn down to their initial rhythm level after their first solo and during the gig they just get louder and louder. You have to be honest with yourself if you are one of them, because it will influence how you set your levels. You really have to think like a producer when listening.

And also, as mentioned before, even though you can probably get close to all the original sounds (if you are a cover band) the tonal shifts will make ot much more difficult to get consistent levels. It’s often better to play the stuff with your own personal sound.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Thanks for the input I completely agree with all the comments and i have been able to make mental notes in regards the level in slots and agree with you guys there is so many amps/tones maybe I went a bit overboard with amount of slots used I guess I will keep grinding away. Thanks for the input

• Disadvantages of a Kemper live: You're going to have to put some work in and give it time. Time with FOH and getting clean/dirty levels correct. Advantages: Once you get things right you can waltz into a gig at the last minute, plug in and everything will be killer and you won't have to worry about a thing, and having that confidence going on stage is a HUGE boon.. My suggestion: Treat it like if you just bought a 4 channel amp. Have your spanky funk/strumming clean, your slight (blues) drive, your heavy drive (80s rock) and your lead tone. Get these 4 leveled using the out put on your "Amplifier" section. Each slot can be boosted with morpf or boosted in level using rig volume from there. Like many people I started out using a bunch of profiles from different sources and figured out the best way to use a Kemper is to treat it like a 5 channel amp and work up from there otherwise you're chasing your tail until you come to this conclusion. Now, I only use a 68, 69(w variac) 72marshall, a Soldano (for "Metal") and a /13 amp that came with the Kemper for cleans. 85% just the 69 Marshall in varying degrees. Keep it simple and build from there.