Is there a DI Box with USB audio out?

• Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a device that I can connect to the speaker output of my tube amp that will then send the audio to a USB audio out?

Of course it will need either a big pad or a speaker thru connection to handle the load.

I have a two notes cabm which does it, but does not have USB audio out. The other two notes devices are the same.

Any ideas?

Allen

• I don't know of a device like that. You're talking about doing two different things: converting a speaker-level output to a much lower level analog signal that can be passed to another electronic device; and the converting that to digital and sending that via USB. I'm not an expert on every device out there, but I think you'll have to do something similar to what they CABM manual suggests: put a speaker load box of some kind after your amp to get a usable analog signal, and then feed that to another device to convert that to digital.

• I don't know of a device like that. You're talking about doing two different things: converting a speaker-level output to a much lower level analog signal that can be passed to another electronic device; and the converting that to digital and sending that via USB. I'm not an expert on every device out there, but I think you'll have to do something similar to what they CABM manual suggests: put a speaker load box of some kind after your amp to get a usable analog signal, and then feed that to another device to convert that to digital.

Thanks. Yes, you don't need a load box, you can just connect to the speaker in the amp. The cabm will do it by using a small usb audio interface. I am just trying to avoid having 2 boxes.

• Probably something like a UA Ox or Boss Tube Expander.

Interestingly enough the Ox doesn't do it, but the Boss Tube amp expander does. Was just hoping to avoid a big box solution.

Having said that the Boss does a load of other good things - the main downside is the lack of a good editor/interface.

• Interestingly enough the Ox doesn't do it, but the Boss Tube amp expander does. Was just hoping to avoid a big box solution.

Having said that the Boss does a load of other good things - the main downside is the lack of a good editor/interface.

....and the cost of investment. Sweet piece of gear, though.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Allenhuish I’ve never heard of a single device that does that.

Audio interfaces and mixers with audio interface capability typically have 3 types of input:

- Mic level/line level XLR/1/4” (6.35mm) TRS combo jacks

- HiZ instrument level 1/4” (6.35mm) jacks

- Mic level-only XLR

All of these are designed to work with specific impedance and signal levels. Your 4-16 ohm and speaker level amplifier signal is way out of the range those inputs are built for, and could very well burn the circuitry at the front of the signal path. This is why load boxes exist - they work at speaker levels of impedance (low) and signal (high), and transform that to line-level voltage and impedance, which is where most recording gear lives.