Posts by KeysAndGuitars

OneEng1 its pedantic, but…

Profiling is not just across a range of frequencies. That’s how on IR works. Profiling considers both frequencies and amplitudes, thus capturing the amp and cab response to every variation in playing and pickup configuration.

My Tonex sounds quite good to me, but my Player sounds better. That’s just my opinion…

Tonex is most definitely a form of profiling/capturing. It is not a “modeler” per se.

Cool product. Capture tech is super accurate. Still, doesn’t sound as good as a guitar processor as a Kemper.

As I said in a previous post, I own both a Tonex and the Player. Tonex is a nice product. The guitar tone it produces is in a different league than the typical low end modeler.

That said, Tonex does not feel like a piece of “pro” gear as the Player does, and to my ears, it does not sound as good as the Player.

The capture technology in Tonex is quite good. Still, to me, there seems to be doses of extra pro musician Cristoph Kemper magic in so many elements of the Profiler Player. It’s this, along with the professional “feel” of all Kemper products that set them apart from equipment like Tonex. Mr. Kemper understands a musician’s needs in a different level than almost any other electronic music gear designer today.

Just my opinion, and everyone can disagree. If you’re inspired by your gear or plugins, that means it’s right for you. I can certainly understand why a guitarist with a serious pedalboard would want a Tonex pedal over a Player.

This has been my dream guitar for a number of years. When it went on sale at a local shop, I didn’t resist. It’s not a vintage or American-made Guild, but it plays and sounds like nothing I’ve ever tried before.

Through my KPP loaded with Rigbusters’ AC30 Liquid Profile, those mini-buckers produce the chime and grime I heard in my head!

Dynochrome I pulled out the chord for my SE846 Gen 2’s so you can see the degree to which I am able to adjust to mold to my ears.

The chord out the case:

After attaching the earpiece and molding to my ear:

I keep this chord fairly tightly coiled, as reflected in the first image. When I put the headphone over and into my ear, I squeezed the hook into the shape you see in the second image, and it does stay over my ears.

Again, this a set of SE846’s. I suggest you check how different the chord of the SE215’s are from my model. Per my quick research on Sweetwater’s and Shure’s websites, it appears all the SE earphone models use the same EAC64 cable. The “hook” is part of the cable.

As they say, YMMV…

Dynochrome when you use them wired, you tuck the cord itself over your ears.

I’ve had a few different models with varying cord thicknesses and degrees of flexibility. I don’t know the SE215’s (as I said, I have the SE846 Gen2 model) but the cord on my in-ears molds nicely to the shape of my ears. Before my SE846’s, I had Westone Pro X50’s and that model’s cord was extremely thin and literally wouldn’t stay over my ears (they sounded great, but not on the level of the SE846’s). The Shure cords are solid and mold nicely.

SE215’s are extremely popular for a reason. Shure is a great company that knows how to support working musicians (and a few passionate hobbyists like me).

Shure SE846 Gen 2

Crazy pricey, but I’ve never heard sound like this anywhere before. 37dB of isolation makes for blissful near-silence and ensures you hear only what you want to hear.

As a convenience, the companion RMCE TW2 Bluetooth adapter makes any Shure SE series in-ear into solid general-purpose wireless headphones. Bluetooth doesn’t sound as good as the wire, but at least my SE846 Gen 2’s still produce details that I’ve never heard through any other listening device before.

nwmusic32, if the cable run from your Kemper to the X32 mixer is more than 3m or 10ft, you may need a line isolator like the Walrus Canvas Stereo or Radial SB-6. The Canvas is more costly than the Radial, but the outputs are XLR Male, so a standard microphone cable will connect it to the X32. The Canvas has the added benefit of having modes for both DI (instrument level input, mic level output) and LI (line level input and output). Both the Radial and Walrus Canvas are quality products.

Your X32 does have 6 TRS jack aux inputs. Are any of these open? If so, a pair of TS-TS 1/4” (6.35mm) cables will work just fine, as long as the run isn’t too long.

Others may tell you to use a DI box. While that will work, it will dramatically reduce your signal, and you’ll have to turn up the X32 preamps. A line isolator balances a line level signal for low-noise long cable runs, without reducing signal level.

Now that my Thomann order has arrived from Germany, I can report that the following unit reliably powers the Player and is well made:

Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-Adapter 12
    Replacement Mains Adapter For Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-12 Pro & I, Input: AC 100-240 V 50/60 Hz, Output DC: 12 Volt / 3 Ampere, Output connection: 5.5 /…
    www.thomannmusic.com

At a fraction of the cost of the Neural DSP Quad Cortex power supply, and from what I gather, better build quality, this is a great deal.

tsachou that makes sense. 12v 1A is too little. Most like 12v 1.7A would work.

As my large Thomann order (I’m building another rack for my home studio, 68 parts of which arrived from Germany) I can now report that this unit reliably powers the Profiler Player:

Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-Adapter 12
    Replacement Mains Adapter For Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-12 Pro & I, Input: AC 100-240 V 50/60 Hz, Output DC: 12 Volt / 3 Ampere, Output connection: 5.5 /…
    www.thomannmusic.com

Allenhuish I’ve never heard of a single device that does that.

Audio interfaces and mixers with audio interface capability typically have 3 types of input:

- Mic level/line level XLR/1/4” (6.35mm) TRS combo jacks

- HiZ instrument level 1/4” (6.35mm) jacks

- Mic level-only XLR

All of these are designed to work with specific impedance and signal levels. Your 4-16 ohm and speaker level amplifier signal is way out of the range those inputs are built for, and could very well burn the circuitry at the front of the signal path. This is why load boxes exist - they work at speaker levels of impedance (low) and signal (high), and transform that to line-level voltage and impedance, which is where most recording gear lives.