Can't get Wah FX with expression pedal to work at all - sweep works but no sound difference

• hey everyone. i have an old Crybaby which i use most of the time but wanted to try using my Korg XVP-20 pedal with the Kemper Wah FX.

Now i've set up everything correctly i think : pedal is connected with TRS to pedal input 5, in the System/Pedal5remote page i have to set the 'Mode' to 'Type 2' in order to get the full sweep range (with Type 1 it only goes from half full to full .. couldn't find anything in the manuals that explains this setting btw). Function is set to Wah Pedal. The Calibrate sweep shows it's working as intended as does the indicator on the pedal links page. I have switched off all the top soft buttons since i only want to use the pedal for wah and not link with anything else.

But no matter what setting/preset i choose in the Wah FX i hear absolutely no difference when using the wah, when i turn the buttons on the wah fx page on the kemper or in rig manager i can hear the settings changing but when i move the pedal there is just no reaction at all. I've twiddled with all tthe buttons/settings/presets but nothing happens when i sweep the pedal. Also tried to connect the pedal to the back of the power head in case it's a problem with the remote .. same story, calibrate/sweep works fine but no sound difference.

What am i missing ???

-------------------------------------------------------

free you mind and your ass will follow …

Edited 2 times, last by stickman ().

• stickman

Changed the title of the thread from “Can't get Wah pedal to work at all - sweep works but no sound difference” to “Can't get Wah FX with expression pedal to work at all - sweep works but no sound difference”.
  • Assuming pedal function in the system page is set to wah, in the wah effects page what mode do you have it set for? (on, off, bypass @ heel, etc)

tried all the modes, touch is the one i want i think (wah always on when the fx slot is active, no function on toe or heel). with the bypass modes i can hear a slight change which sounds the same as enabling/disabling the fx slot .. but no sweep effect sound change.

• ok i think i figured it out ... i have to set the pedal mode in the fx page to on but for some reason it defaults back to touch when i change presets some time, not sure if that's intended. i locked the pedal fx now to be sure. reading up in the manual touch is definitely not what i want :)

Edited once, last by stickman ().

• ok i think i figured it out ... i have to set the pedal mode in the fx page to on but for some reason it defaults back to touch when i change presets some time, not sure if that's intended. i locked the pedal fx now to be sure. reading up in the manual touch is definitely not what i want :)

You shouldn't need to lock the fx block, you should just need to save the rig and it will stay in pedal mode for that rig. If you lock it, that block will always be a pedal wah for every rig and you won't be able to modify it for different rigs. You may want to use that block for a different fx or even a different wah for other rigs. If you are creating a wah preset with specific settings that you expect to re-use in many rigs, you can also save it as a preset. In rig manager, just drag the wah block over to the presets folder and name it (both local and profiler folders). Then it will show up in the drop down under wah/wah type/preset name

• You shouldn't need to lock the fx block, you should just need to save the rig and it will stay in pedal mode for that rig. If you lock it, that block will always be a pedal wah for every rig and you won't be able to modify it for different rigs. You may want to use that block for a different fx or even a different wah for other rigs. If you are creating a wah preset with specific settings that you expect to re-use in many rigs, you can also save it as a preset. In rig manager, just drag the wah block over to the presets folder and name it (both local and profiler folders). Then it will show up in the drop down under wah/wah type/preset name

ah cool, i didn't know you could dragndrop fx blocks to save presets. locking is cool for the moment since i always want the wah in first position and i'm still trying to make the kemper wah sound/feel like my old crybaby which is a struggle. the original just sounds more slutty and the kemper wah way to civilized :evil: