Automating performance volume

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Stage

I’m using a midi track on Ableton Live to automate patch changes, etc on my Kemper Stage. I use the Max4Live Kemper controller to program the midi.

What I haven’t figured out is how to effectively automate overall patch volume. Max4Live only has 1 way to automate volume that I can tell which is automating the volume pedal.

The problem is that the volume is not gradual at all. It’s practically all or nothing. Is there someway to adjust this range within the Kemper? I don’t use a volume controller pedal by the way, just a wah controller pedal.

I’ve tried automating volume with CC7 and that seems to take away gain as well as volume which is not what I want.

Also, is it possible to have my controller pedal serve different functions on different performances?

• New
    • Official Post

A few hints:

You can determine by Rig, where in the signal chain Volume Pedal is located. If you select for example "Post Stack" or "Output", it won't affect the gain. If you select "Input" or "Pre Stack" it will. The parameter is Volume Pedal Location in Rig Settings.

Control change #7 is a continuous controller with a range of 0-127. The controller is gradual and Volume Pedal is. There is a parameter Volume Pedal Range, which allows to limit the minimum. But there is no setting at the PROFILER side, which just allows off and maximum Volume Pedal. Perhaps you are treating CC#7 like a switch instead of a continuous controller in your software.

I suggest you read the chapter about the Volume Pedal in the manual, which explains the whole concept. Understand first, then automate.

Not sure, what you exactly mean by "contorll pedal serve different functions on different Performances)". Perhaps the answer is "Morphing". There is also a chapter dedicated to that subject. The corresponding MIDI contoller is #11.

• thanks for your help. What I mean by control pedal serving different functions on different performances: I have a single expression pedal that I have set up to use as a wah wah. If I wanted to have a different performance without wah wah could the expression pedal instead be set to be a volume control on that performance only?

• The Wah>Volume and Wah>Pitch checkboxes in the system menu should solve your issue.

If you have Wah>Volume ticked the Wah pedal will act as a Wah if the rig contains an wah effect which is turned on. If it doesn’t contain a Wah or the Wah is turned 0ff then the Pedal will control Volume.

Thanks!