Ohms question

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Head/Rack

Hello everyone,

I have a fairly unique question based on the gear I own. I did search, and know that I can use 4, 8, or 16 ohms with the Power Head.

My question is, I have a Hughes and Kettner 4x12 cab (CC 412 A25).

The cab has an option for Stereo (8ohms) or Mono (4ohms). If I were to select Stereo on the cab (there's a switch for stereo/mono), but Mono on the profiler, would I be using the 8ohms on my cab? and would I be losing anything from the Kemper?

I feel like I know it'll work, but I also know that I'm uneducated in this area, so there might be something I'm missing.

Thank you!

• You can use either with the kemper as it only has a mono power output and can accept 4, 8 or 16 ohms without issue.
    If the cab switch is set to mono, you will feed all 4 speakers in mono.

If the cab switch is set to stereo you will only be feeding 2 speakers still in mono and the other 2 speakers will be silent.
    The ohms wont matter to kemper aside from a change in volume and punch really. 4ohm mono will be more immediate and louder whereas 16ohm mono will be a little more laidback as it reduces the kemper ouput.
    In order to feed stereo to the cab you need to hook up 2 amps, one to each input and if they are tube amps you'd need to use the 8ohm tap on each.

• Thank you!

I think I'm gonna stick with the 4 Ohms mono. I'm under the impression that if I push it too hard the Kemper will automatically drop some power to avoid breaking anything, is that correct?

• The power amp probably has something to prevent overheating, but turn it up far enough and it’ll melt most any guitar speaker.

Your ears will bleed before that. Or you’ll pass out from the pain. Or both. :)

Ohms (resistance) relate directly to available power:

4 ohms - 600

8 ohms - 300

16 ohms - 150

Each time you double speaker resistance, wattage is cut in half. There’s no safety concern with any of these choices. 150 watts is ridiculously loud.

• This. 16ohms is probably your best bet as I believe that HK cab is rated at 100 watts. Keep in mind that the overload protection circuit in the kemper is to protect the kemper, not the cabinet.