Problem with HD500 and Expression Pedal

• Hi,

I want to use my HD500 as a midi controller. Everything works fine, but I cannot activate the Expression Pedal. I want to use it to control the master volume // rig volume or gain. But nothing works. This is my midi setup:

- EXP 1
    - Midi Channel Base (Itried with 1 ... 16 and all other commands work with base. Therefore I think Base is ok)
    - CC# 001
    - MinVal 000
    - MaxVal 127

Kemper FW: 1.5.1
    HD500 FW: 2.0.2

Would be VERY VERY VERY great, if somebody can help! Thanks a lot!

Marco

• Does the patch on the HD500 has a volume pedal in it? Without I believe that the pedal is deactivated.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Shouldn't that be CC 007 for volume...?

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• that's right, it needs to be in the patch on the hd

You're sure?
    I have to double check this but I don't believe this is true.
    AFAIK the midi command assignment page in the HD lets you assign every switch incl. looper switch + tap switch + pedal switches to a midi cc, regardless of a pedal being existant in the signal chain.
    An additional pedal like the ex-1 for example is also clearly not in the signal chain but still can be used to control volume, delay mix and the like.
    Exceptions to this are the bank up/down switches which cannot be assigned.

• You're sure?
    AFAIK the midi command assignment page in the HD lets you assign every switch incl. looper switch + tap switch + pedal switches to a midi cc, regardless of a pedal being existant in the signal chain.
    An additional pedal like the ex-1 for example is also clearly not in the signal chain but still can be used to control volume, delay mix and the like.

well I WAS sure..but now I'm not :S ...haven't messed with the volpedal since I first connected the hd to my kpa. after that I've only used it as a wah. you may be right. I'll have to check but I haven't got the HD here right now

• Just tried this - If it is volume you want then CC # 007 works for me - just check that the Exp1 light is on with the HD500 rather than Exp2. I have an empty patch setup with no effects or amps selected.

With CC#01 (Wah) I'm finding that the volume is turned turned down as well as closing the filter in the toe position. You could alter the min and max values to tighten things around the sweet spot of the wah I suppose. Also experiment with the different wah settings on the second page of the KPA wah effect page.00

I've always found that the PodHD500 expression adds some interference 'noise' when used, so I use a Boss FV500H for things like volume and wah.

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Okay, I recorderd the midi messages with my host. The buttons FS work fine.

For this test I used the following setup:

EXP1: Midi Channel Base, Message: Blank, CC# 007, MinVal 000, MaxVal 127
    = no, midi send

EXP2: Midi Channel Base, Message: Blank, CC# 007, MinVal 000, MaxVal 127
    = no, midi send

EXP Toe: Midi Channel Base, Message: CC Toggle, CC# 007, Val 127
    = yes, midi send Volume

___

If I select Exp1 or 2 I cannot select "mesage". Maybe thats the problem?

oh. what a shame. I am such a midiot ...

• Y E S ... I T WORKS ... thanks to erverybody.

The solution: I recalibrated the Onboard expression pedal of the POD HD500 (step by step from line 6):
    Hold
    the down the RIGHT ARROW button on the 4 Way Nav Pad while powering the
    unit on, until you see the “Test Mode” screen (Pedal Cal, etc.), and
    then proceed with the steps below:

• If not already selected, use on the 4 Way Nav Pad to select “Pedal Cal,” as shown above.
    • Press the VIEW button.
    • Set
      the pedal to the minimum “heel” position, then press the A footswitch
      to set a value for the Duty Cycle. You’ll see the value set to “100.”
    • Set
      the pedal to the maximum “toe” position, then press the B footswitch to
      set a value for the Duty Cycle. Again, you’ll see the value set to
      “100,” as in step 3.
    • Press the C footswitch to prepare for
      automatic selection of the Scaled Pedal Value and move the pedal from
      min. to max. You should see the Scaled Pedal Values read “0” at the heel
      position and “255” and the toe position.
    • Press
      the D footswitch to save the settings. You’ll be returned to the Test
      Mode screen and the Pedal Cal item will show a “P” to indicated that the
      pedal calibration is complete! Power your device off and back on again
      to start using it.

Ready.

PUH :D

• You're sure?

and you were right..no need for anything in the patch :thumbup:

• :thumbup: thanks .. I have the same problem and now you have solved it.
    One more question, how to set up both Exp 1 for Wah and Exp 2 for volume then?

I follow your way, its work for volume but no luck for wah .. As for Wah, when I switch to toe position, it actually there is no sound, but to heel , I can hear the wah... something i might be missing?

• :thumbup: thanks .. I have the same problem and now you have solved it.
    One more question, how to set up both Exp 1 for Wah and Exp 2 for volume then?

I follow your way, its work for volume but no luck for wah .. As for Wah, when I switch to toe position, it actually there is no sound, but to heel , I can hear the wah... something i might be missing?

Make sure Exp.1 isn't Internally doing volume AND wah.
    Exp. must send midi CC 1, exp. 2 must send 7.