Tip #31 : Biggest sounds impact

• Some say the amp has more influence as the speaker - for me the mic and mic placement is the biggest one.

I'll bring a sample later.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Here a short sample.

First the mic placement which sounds VERY close to the amp in my room.

Then other mic placements - all the same amp settings, speaker, mic and all - only the placement is different.

Demo

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• Your demo is a real eye (ear) opener.
    It clearly shows how mic placement can make or break (or color) a profile.
    If you remember, could you share what the differences in placement were, corresponding to each segment of the demo?
    This could be very helpful if we hear something in one of the segments that we would like to achieve, or avoid, in a profile.

Have you ever changed the mic placement for refining, after the initial profiling was complete.
    I wonder what the effects would be if you first took the initial profile, and then refined 2,3, or 4 times, each time changing the mic position?
    Has anyone tried this :?:

• Your demo is a real eye (ear) opener.
    It clearly shows how mic placement can make or break (or color) a profile.
    If you remember, could you share what the differences in placement were, corresponding to each segment of the demo?
    This could be very helpful if we hear something in one of the segments that we would like to achieve, or avoid, in a profile.

I started in the opposite direction (the last part of the sound sample was my first try).
    This is a far miked position which worked well for some of my small old vintage Fender (open back) combos.
    The second one is another far miked position I use for combos.

I was not able to capture the 'amp in a room sound' of an open back combo when I close mike it.

But the amp I was profiling is a closed back combo - so it does not work - compared to the real amp does it lack bass and there is much to much treble - and some 'strange' coloring.

So I placed the mic closer to the amp, at different angles and more or less centered - until I found the sound as close as possible to the amp sound.

I found that clean sounds are more forgiving when searching for the best profiling mic placement - so I use distorted sounds when ever possible - and check later with clean sounds as well.

Note: This was only the mic placement - the other task before this is to select a mic - so it can easily need 50 or more profiles until I can start to create the profiles.

For me is this procedure the most time consuming part of my profiling sessions - and each amp seams to needs a different mic placement.

Have you ever changed the mic placement for refining, after the initial profiling was complete.
    I wonder what the effects would be if you first took the initial profile, and then refined 2,3, or 4 times, each time changing the mic position?
    Has anyone tried this :?:

No I never did this - since the 'refine' process is some kind of final 'eq matching' I would expect that the result would be close to the result I would get if I would place the mic at the refine position.

• Thanks for your answers to my questions.
    All of your "Tips" are very helpful, and appreciated :thumbup:

No I never did this - since the 'refine' process is some kind of final 'eq matching' I would expect that the result would be close to the result I would get if I would place the mic at the refine position.

This makes sense.
    If the refining is basically EQ matching, then the mic placement wouldn't play as large a role in the outcome, as it does in the initial profile.
    Maybe worth some experimentation, but, as you say, I guess there wouldn't be that big of a difference, with or without, moving the mic for refining.
    Again, Thanks(-:

• Here is the same (Marshall) amp, same settings, same mic (R121), same placement - but different speakers.

C90 vs V30

btw. it sounds different when I profile the amp and cab at the same time vs. switching cab's later.
    IMHO do I get the best sounds if all interacts together = same setup as I like to use later.