Kemper in a band setting

• So considering going Kemper, and I'm really curious to hear how people are using the Kemper within a band performance setting, not a studio setting. In the real amps world, I've used a Marshall DSL100, a Laney VH100R, an Orange Rockerverb MK1 100-watt, a Fryette Sig X, and a Rectoverb - those are the main ones anyway!

I guess the first thing I'd need to consider is; FRFR or guitar cab. I tend to prefer a guitar cab, as I like the low-end grunt it gives you. So I'll probably be wanting to disable the microphone and cab section, go into a power amp, and then into a guitar cab. I heard however that the cab bypass for the Kemper isn't a 100% bypass - which is worrying for my application. Is it going to be an issue?

Next thing would be getting the core sounds right. I tend to use four levels of gain... a rich and full clean tone, with as little distortion as possible. Then a more Marshally clean 'on the edge' break-up tone. Then a crunchy mid-gain kind of tone. Then a high-gain metal rhythm tone. I like the idea of using a profile of my Orange for my clean tones, and edge-breakup tones, and then profiles of my Laney for the crunch and high-gain. I'd want to be able to switch seamlessly between these core sounds - keeping the effects locked to whatever they are set to previously - is that possible?

Speaking of effects, I need a fair range. I need to be able to have a phaser, two delays, and a reverb, BEFORE the amp... and a delay and reverb AFTER the amp. Is this possible? Furthermore, is it possible to switch presets within an effects block via a midi CC, without affecting anything else?

Sorry if these are n00b questions. But I haven't really seen many people explaining this stuff in a practical sense, and I find the manual a little too theoretical.

• Plug the Kemper into a poweramp and cab on stage, you'll think you're playing a full blown tube amp.
    Send the Main Outs with cab to the PA, or mic the cab.
    Don't worry about the KPA not being a 100% cab bypass...the % of the cab it leaves is part of the tonal magic that no other digital device can match...it's not a negative, it's a positive.

You can't have any delays or reverb before the amp block, but you can have a phaser or any of the modulation FX in front of the amp block.
    If you want delays and reverb before the KPA then you'll have to use your own delay/reverb pedals in front of the Kemper, and then use the built in KPA delays and reverb after the amp.

The 'core sounds' are obviously all there, anything from clean to crunch to high gain has been Profiled, and that doesn't include how easy it is to sculpture/tweak your own tones from existing Profiles.
    You'll find 'your tones' in existing Profiles, but you can Profile your own amps as well.

• If you want delays and reverb before the KPA then you'll have to use your own delay/reverb pedals in front of the Kemper, and then use the built in KPA delays and reverb after the amp.

You could also use an effects loop before the amp section and hook up there your own external delay. Internal delays are only possible at the end, behind the amp and before the (internal) reverb.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I have used 2 of those amps live Rockerverb and Sig X.

I encourage you to give FRFR a fair shot. Without it, IMO, you're limiting yourself to a portion of the "magic".

The Cabs really give an incredible amount of variety and flexibility. Also.......dialing in EXACTLY what you send to the FOH is priceless!

• Ah, that's kind of a shame about the effects limitations, but it can be worked around with the effects loop slot I suppose.

How does the actual mechanics of switching the rigs, without changing the effects, work? IE: Just switch the stack from one profile to another... you link them to program changes/control changes, or.... ??

• I program and save my choice effect blocks and label them such as "Main Rhythm", "Lead Delay", etc. I like the variety of tones available and currently use around 12 different profiles to cover various situations. I can find a profile/tone that I would like to use then pull up the chosen effect block/preset, load it in to the profile and save it (then assign a midi # to it). I have not tried switching profiles while holding an effect block in place because I simply program the chosen effect combination into each preset. There is a bit of an initial learning curve but once you get rolling it is very user friendly and the possibilities are mind blowing! All of those great amps that you mentioned you love to use in an 11lb. box! :thumbup:

• BTW, Currently running the KPA (monitor out/cab off) into a DCM1000L Carvin power amp then a series of Mesa Boogie cabs. The only outboard gear I kept in the rig are an MXR Phase90, Digitech Whammy Pedal and a Korg Kaoss Pad. As expected, the tone kills! :thumbup:

• I'm using Kemper with Velocity 120, but I just couldn't get good sound of it. It's not the color of the sound, but it's like the Kemper is in fountain. When I connect Engl SE head, the sound is crystal clear. Problem is probably in settings, but i'm tired of tweaking. I'm sure that FRFR will solve this problem, so i'm looking for this solution.

• Hey guys,

So I tried out a KPA for a few hours in a store the other day - Ishibashi in Shinjuku, Tokyo. Now please, don't tear me a new a-hole, these are just a few rambly jet-lagged thoughts...

I tried the KPA out through some smallish Yamaha monitors the store had, and the effects loop of a Peavey Classic. I have to say, I wasn't blown away to smithereens or anything.. I could definitely hear promise there, but I really need to hear one through a proper monitoring setup. Compared to the Axe FX II demo I had a friend of mine give me... the Axe had a much bigger impact on me from the initial outset.

I did love the delay and reverb on the Kemper though - sounded really nice, and in stereo was even nicer! I'm now curious about getting a stereo FRFR rig, so I can utilise the spaciness of the post-amp effects... I didn't really get into the other effects. Was too focused on browsing rigs.

So yeah... what I loved about it was it was so simple to use - I've read the manuals cover to cover a few times, so had a pretty good idea of how it worked before I went in. It was easier than I expected to get to grips with, although I'm sure I didn't cover everything in two hours!

Some of the factory models sounded decent. I quite liked a bunch of the Marshall and Soldano profiles - I forget the creator I'm afraid.
    From what I'm hearing from other users though, I should really be thinking about investing in some packs from Amp Factory, if I do go Kemper.

What I don't really like about it is the form factor - it looks cool. But I struggle to see how a guitar cab 4x12 setup will work and be quick to setup... I suppose I could fix a Matrix Ampliciation GT1000 to the top of the cab, and have it permanently wired. KPA in a carry bag... take it out and rest it on top like a regular amp head. Doesn't seem as smooth as just putting a 4U rack on top of the cab though.

And FRFR.. I'm dubious currently. I would love to be able to take advantage of the different cab sounds the KPA can give... but currently I've not really heard it in the ideal setup/environment. Actually I am based in London, UK. If anyone has a setup they'd be able to
    let me come and play through here in London, I'd love the opportunity to
    do so!

I'm basically torn at this point. What I want:

-Different amp tones in a box
    -Monitored live on stage
    -Some post-amp effects
    -My pedalboard
    -Possibly a feed to the PA

Because my needs are pretty damn basic... The KPA and the Axe FX cover them both. So it's literally down to the way it sounds, and at the moment I've played the Axe FX through a heavily thoughtout and high quality rig, and the Kemper through a really crappy amp and pair of speakers in a shop.... its just not fair to make a decision at this point.

If anyone is even remotely curious, this is my band: http://bridgedisaster.co.uk/

• Hi Drew

When you tried your friends Axe -FX through a great rig, your friend had already spent a LONG TIME tweaking and setting up his patches.
    When you tried the Kemper through a really bad rig, you hadn't spent any time setting up your "patches".

Once you spend some tweaking time with Kemper Profiles, tweaked them to your style, your ears and guitars, plugged into a good FRFR or poweramp, it will sound incredible.

You need to give the Kemper more time, playing it once for a few minutes in a music store will not be a true reflection of it's capabilities.

• Oh yeah man, totally get what you're saying here. I think what I'll do is get the Matrix Amp first... once that arrives, get the Kemper on a 30-day money back guarantee type thing, and then when it arrives just blitz a few of the Amp Factory profiles, and maybe even profile my current tube amps... see how I get on from there. If it doesn't work for me, I can send it back and get a refund, then get the Axe.

But I really do want this Kemper to be the one that wins it. It's just really easy to use, and that's of paramount concern to me, as I don't really want to be cocking about with menus and deep editing when I'm rehearsing or gigging, or just coming up with new sounds for future songs even.

It's a pretty exciting time to be playing guitar right now!