VG Stratocaster

• Nope....but I play hex pickup equipped guitars exclusively and use the same Roland guitar modelling technology as the built-in feature on the VG Strat, only more versitile since its in my pedal. I play acoustic guitar, Les Paul, mandolin, Alt tunings....all from my GK equipped Strat. They are pretty convincing tones, especially in the mix.

bd

• I'm quite familiar with the COSM technology, as I've owned a VG-99. I still have a GR-33 and a Godin LGX/SA. However, the simplicity of having everything in the guitar appeals to me. I'm just not convinced that the guitar's quality will be high enough - similar issues with the Variax.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I'm quite familiar with the COSM technology, as I've owned a VG-99. I still have a GR-33 and a Godin LGX/SA. However, the simplicity of having everything in the guitar appeals to me. I'm just not convinced that the guitar's quality will be high enough - similar issues with the Variax.

I got one. It sounds pretty good. Its construction is good but I would not say it is great. I had a Variax (not the JTV) and I think the construction on the VG is better though. It also sounds better than the Variax to me.

• I thought the VG was American made. I personally don't like stock Strats since none will hold tune under a my heavy hand and trem use. The onboard VG circuit only gives you small number of models and tunings but it has two nice things going for it unlike the Variax. 1. Better build quality and appearance. 2. NO piezo pickups.

The GK (hex) pup being magnetic won't rumble under high gain palm muting, lose signal while dive bombing or fail due to excessive sweat or palm abuse.

I'm curious how long the battery last?

bd

• I'm lately been getting more and more interested in either the VG or Variax mainly for the acoustic/sitar sounds. This seems like it could be very handy at times. And atleast on some demos they do sound quite good to me. Maybe I could justify an early christmas present for myself...[Blocked Image: http://kemper-amps.com/library/wcf/images/smilies/smile.png]

Here's a demo of VG by Steve Stevens:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXo8ZL5yyBU

(edit: removed off-topic clutter... )

Edited once, last by TMV ().

• The old 2007 VG was build in USA - the new 2012 one is build in Mexico.

Both lack the 13pin connector.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Thanks to all who have replied, but so far I haven't really gotten what I was really looking for - feedback from personal experience. The demo videos are pretty good, but hard to trust. How good does it REALLY sound? Personally, I could care less about the lack of a 13-pin connector. I have that now and don't use it. Having a single axe that (with a flick of a switch) can go to alternate tunings, a variety of guitar sounds, and make any of those a 12-string is what I'm looking for...

I might have to bite the bullet and get one just to see ;)

• Sounds like a trip to Guitar Center would help? Also, I notice a large number of VG Strats and pullout pick guards on eBay. Why, I don't know.

bd

I think those loaded bodies and pickguards are from the older American made versions, and I read somewhere that people were buying them for the necks and parting them out.

• OK. Here's the follow up on this. I bought one and actually like it. Believe it or not, I like the guitar as just a regular strat best of all. However, the other options with the COSM technology are nice alternatives. I would say that the quality is very good (at least for the one I bought), and the guitar is very playable. I put 10s on instead of the stock 9s, which helped quite a bit. The various guitar models are decent, but not brilliant. The acoustic sounds are OK, particularly if you pair them with a good acoustic amp on the KPA. Suffice it to say that I'm keeping this one, and I've sent back guitars that cost much more.

• I heard it was made using American Standard Strat parts but assembled in Mexico.

How usable are the alternate tunings? I have an older Variax and while convenient the alt tunings have major digital artifacts--very noticeable on a recording, along with a bad latency.

J

• I heard it was made using American Standard Strat parts but assembled in Mexico.

How usable are the alternate tunings? I have an older Variax and while convenient the alt tunings have major digital artifacts--very noticeable on a recording, along with a bad latency.

J

To be honest, I haven't really used the alt tunings much. I don't think the 12 string is all that perfect. I'll fool with it some more...

• I think the alt tunings are pretty good. I stepped through them last night and didn't feel any latency, nor did I hear artifacts. I suspect that the difference between this and the Variax is in the pickups. I've never cared for the sound of piezo, and the GK-3 always sounds better to me. Using a heavier gauge string helps as well. I only went up to 10's on mine, and that was a noticeable improvement from the 9's that came with it. I suspect 11's would be even better, but I like the feel of 10's on a strat. The guitar models are usable. I suspect that for gigging with a cover band that this guitar would serve the purpose. To me, the weakest sounds were the acoustic and 12 string emulations. The jazz box model seems a bit muted, but some judicious EQ helps it considerably. For the price, it's a good value IMO. I picked mine up new on eBay for $830 (shipping included).

That said, I'm going to put some Don Mare SuperSports (along with vintage caps) into it as soon as they arrive, smooth out the fret ends, and stiffen up the tremolo to my tastes. 8o

• I have used Piezo based systems for many years now, they are awesome in many genres, and fantastic for covers bands and studios. Beware though, they have issues in high gain and loud volume environments such as metal bands combined with small(ish) spaces. I have had to drop the VG99 element of my setup from practices in Whitesnake covers band due to the piezo picking up the excessive sound pressures in the rehearsal space and squealing like a piggy.

• As paults said, the Roland Strat has a GK-3 PUP, which is magnetic. It's no more susceptible to feedback than any other strat. After a couple of weeks with this guitar, I still like it, though I tend to play the regular strat PUPs more than the emulations...