Price friendly interface and monitors for the Kemper

• Hey guys

I'm a total newbie with recording gear, so I have a couple of questions I hope you could help me out with!

I need a price friendly interface to run my Kemper through so I can record ideas to my pc and a set of monitors to amplify the sound.

Does the interface has to be of a certain type or could, let's say, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 do it justice? As in, the sound quality won't be comprimised?

I am currently playing it through headphones and the sound quality is amazing. But when I run it through my regular Hi-Fi system (amp and speakers) it sounds extremely dull - therefore I want to invest in a couple of monitors. Thinking about getting a set of Mackie MR5 MKII.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks for your help

Kris

• @ tylerhb: OK. In my local music store they also recommended the RME Babyface. I was a bit shocked when I heard the price though, around 770 USD (I live in Denmark). But if it really is THAT much better than the competish, I guess I'll save up ;)

• Everything I've recorded on the Kemper has been through a ESI MAYA 44 PCIe card which used to run around ~$100 USD (my card is discontinued and they have a couple newer cards out now). Go listen to all the Amp Factory Bundle 3 clips (except Soldano, 6505, and Orange some of my favs are the VVT , 1987 JMP, and Excelsior) and here's my latest using Armin's MkV. Monitors are a personal thing though. Again, I lean frugal as I don't do any serious mix work and use an affordable set of M-Audio monitors (I think the AV40s ~$150 USD). If I could go top shelf across the board, perhaps I would. But great results can be had without spending a ton of dough.

• ...For a decent guitar feeling i would not go under 8" woofers...

I've heard this advice a few times now - usually from guys that know what they're talking about. I was thinking about the Adam A7Xs but their 'mid-woofer' is quoted as 7''. I had even thought about the smaller Adam A5X as I don't need to monitor at high levels. The Genelec 8030s woofer looks small as well (5'' I think?).

In an ideal world I'd try them all side by side with the KPA but... my pokey little place in the world is... not ideal. Would this advice still stand for speakers in this price bracket - despite their smaller woofer size? If so I'll keep my old and beardy Alesis mk1s and save up for something more suitable. Those new campers look nice...

Cheers.

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• The consideration on the 8" is linked with the price. If you go Adam or Genelec you won't be wrong also with 5"

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Thanks for this. My GAS remain can remain undiminished on these items then 8)
    BTW - how is the camper working out? I read your recent post and it sounds interesting, especially as you also list having the RCF NX12s - I take it they stack up well against these then?

Cheers.

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• It sound more like an amp and less like a monitor (and the RCF is excellent in that). With a bit of presence from the output eq is really awesome, definitely warmer then the RCF. I've tested the 1x12 but ordered a custom 2x12 stereo (should be here next week) and Marco is telling me that it sounds even rounder and fuller.

Were are you based?

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Thanks - I appreciate the info. I'm out in the sticks in the UK - Lincoln. Was looking to see if they ship internationally... that 2x12 stereo looks very interesting. Been waiting to see what Atomic do with their upcoming CLR but a release date seems some way off. I'm a bit of a sawn off shotgun at present - looking at different monitoring solutions across the board. Can't help be drawn towards a 'real' looking cab though :) . You'll have to post a bit of a review when your 2x12 camper arrives. Very thread worthy....

• I'll do. Obviously you know that the owner of Blue Amps is gitarrenschlumpf here in the forum, you can ask him directly for the shipment.

• Ah yes, the blue smurf chap! I was going to ask him about how it works at low volumes as this is predominantly how I'll be using it. The 2x12 is perhaps overkill for domestic use but I like the stereo option very much...

Cheers for the feedback. :thumbup:

• It depends what you mean with low volume..... If you want to play at TV volume then you'll honestly be better off with nearfield monitors, don't get me wrong: it sounds excellent well below rehearsal volume, but if you live in a flat is going to be a bit loud....