Live use improvements

• Performance mode seems to have gained momentum amongst KPA users, and I've been giving it a bit of thought on how to make it a bit more stage friendly.

First thing that pops to mind is this: instead of pre-loading all profiles into memory during boot, why not introduce a system option which when turned on allows for preloading only those profiles which have MIDI program change numbers assigned to them? If the user wants to load another profile fine, only the time it will take to switch to that profile will be a bit longer since it will have to be loaded on demand. That way the boot time could become almost instantaneous (depending on # of profiles with MIDI pgm# assigned), which is definitely an improvement as we wouldn't have to worry about power outages.

Now regarding performance mode... not that it's essential but seems you guys intend to work on it anyway, so one thing I'd ask is, if there's any way audio and switching latency could be improved, that would be awesome (not that it's a problem right now). Some functionalities like USB could be disabled in performance mode in order to save processig power for said latency imprevement. I also think that a MIDI monitor utility showing like the last 20 MIDI messages received by the unit would be useful (it could be available through the soft key used for USB in browse mode).

• What do you mean with audio and switching latency? The audio latency is 3,5ms, the switching latency is below 2ms...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• What do you mean with audio and switching latency? The audio latency is 3,5ms, the switching latency is below 2ms...

As far as I know the audio latency has been recently lowered to 2.38ms, but the competitor's is still a bit lower. I know, it means standing 2-3ft away from the speaker, but if you have a FRFR speaker with embedded DSP that's another 2ms, which means 4-5ft you need to stand closer to your speaker in order not to feel disconnected. I'll admit I'm being a bit anal on the subject but I still think it's important that if it's not lowered, that it's at least kept as it currently is.

• Why do you think all profiles are loaded into memory? I have nothing read about it. The profiles are very small so the time to load a profile is also very short.

• Why do you think all profiles are loaded into memory? I have nothing read about it. The profiles are very small so the time to load a profile is also very short.

Because I've read that the more profiles you have, the longer the KPA takes to boot up.

• As far as I know the audio latency has been recently lowered to 2.38ms, but the competitor's is still a bit lower. I know, it means standing 2-3ft away from the speaker, but if you have a FRFR speaker with embedded DSP that's another 2ms, which means 4-5ft you need to stand closer to your speaker in order not to feel disconnected. I'll admit I'm being a bit anal on the subject but I still think it's important that if it's not lowered, that it's at least kept as it currently is.

The speed of sound at sea level is ~1130 feet per second, which means ~1.13 feet per millisecond. 2.38 ms compared to the 2 ms by a competitor (unless that's changed) is not a difference of 2-3ft but a few inches. I have serious doubts you would be able to tell the difference between 2 and 2.38 ms latency in a blind test. I'd bet some speakers have a reaction time slower than that. And if the added latency from your FRFR bugs you, eliminate it.

• The speed of sound at sea level is ~1130 feet per second, which means ~1.13 feet per millisecond. 2.38 ms compared to the 2 ms by a competitor (unless that's changed) is not a difference of 2-3ft but a few inches. I have serious doubts you would be able to tell the difference between 2 and 2.38 ms latency in a blind test. I'd bet some speakers have a reaction time slower than that. And if the added latency from your FRFR bugs you, eliminate it.

Well I told you I was being anal :)

Just to clarify, when I say 2-3ft I was talking about the 2.38ms, not the difference between the KPA and the competitor. In general my thoughts on latency are: "the less, the better". Also one of the reasons I've posted this is so the software developers keep an eye on latency while developing new software as a while ago it was detected by some users that the latency had increased to over 3ms from one FW version on.

I know I should get a FRFR speaker without DSP but after buying the KPA that's gonna have to wait for a while. Besides most of the FRFR speakers I can get in Brazil are Behringers which I'm told aren't very good.

• Well I told you I was being anal :)

Just to clarify, when I say 2-3ft I was talking about the 2.38ms, not the difference between the KPA and the competitor. In general my thoughts on latency are: "the less, the better". Also one of the reasons I've posted this is so the software developers keep an eye on latency while developing new software as a while ago it was detected by some users that the latency had increased to over 3ms from one FW version on.

I know I should get a FRFR speaker without DSP but after buying the KPA that's gonna have to wait for a while. Besides most of the FRFR speakers I can get in Brazil are Behringers which I'm told aren't very good.

Gotcha. Though I agree latency should be keep to a minimum, I just feel when we're at a latency level which requires a computer to accurately measure, it might as well be inconsequential. I have a Behringer FRFR for a short while and it was one of the most bass heavy speakers I've experienced to date. Had a detached subharmonic present even with the low control dialed all the way back. Their keyboard amps are surprisingly good though. I'm planning to move to a passive more traditional looking cab (with a coax FRFR speaker) and separate poweramp at some point, though not sure when I'll have the funds to make the switch.

• I'm waiting for a more affordable power amp that goes in the back of the KPA. Don't know if that will happen but I hope it will.
    Then I can use or make any passive box I want.

I really don't want to go back to a rack.

• If you are good in diy, why don't you take an old crate powerblock or one of the tons of t-amps on the market and prepare a case to let it fit the kpa?
    I have been thinking about that, but i'm pretty happy with my actual active monitor.

• I'm waiting for a more affordable power amp that goes in the back of the KPA. Don't know if that will happen but I hope it will.
    Then I can use or make any passive box I want.

I really don't want to go back to a rack.

Do you mean more affordable than the retrofit ones already available?