FRFR - studio monitors or pa speakers

• To get the best live sound in my home studio is it best to use studio monitors or pa speakers. FRFR - fall range flat response surely means studio monitor as pa speakers must colour the sound as they have built in sound enhancing electronics. Also for headphone are monitoring headphones best or super aural or circum aural.

• It depends how loud you can/want to play and how far from the speakers you'll be. If you're not looking to blow the doors away and you sit in front of the speakers, then studio monitors are a better solution, IMO

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Besides what Guitarnet wrote, it might worth pointing out that the whole FRFR is just marketing. No loudspeaker system can be really FRFR, and there's no kind of monitoring system that doesn't color the incoming signal, alter its phase, or add something to it (noise, distortion etc.).
    The best FRFR systems are those that just do it less than others.
    This to say that some PA systems may be more linear ad hi-fi than some monitor systems...

Ultimately, what we want from an FRFR system is that it presents a coherent and stable response with different material and in different environment.
    So basically, make experience and trust your ears :)

• Coming from strictly tube amps, I was truly shocked at how much I love the KPA through studio monitors. To me, they have the amp tone I'm looking for at all volume levels. I pulled out one of my favorite tube amps and I prefer the KPA with studio monitors. I'm hooked.

• I would agree that studio reference monitors are going to give you the best and most accurate representation of your sound out of the Kemper. However, if you are playing live in a band and need more volume, which I doubt reference monitors would be good for, I would opt for either the RCF's that were mentioned (haven't tried these) or the Yamaha DXR12's (which I do own). I love, love, love the Yamaha DXR12's as they are relatively flat, small and extremely loud if you need them. They also have a 3 input mixer on the back of each one. I got mine on sale for $599.00 each. I know many modeler amp users also like the QSC K12 or K10's as well but in my opinion they aren't as good sounding as the Yamaha and they are more expensive. The high end on the QSC seemed a little more brash where the high end on the Yamaha's were silky smooth. Go to your local music store and bring the Kemper in to try out some speakers. The ONLY downside is they are heavier than I want at 42.5 pounds. I wish they were 30 lbs or less. But, they are not by any means "heavy" I'm just old :P

I do wish that I could get away with reference monitors for live use instead as I believe they are designed to be as flat as possible which in the land of modeling technology is a very good thing. I often dream of the small lightweight speaker up on stands in stereo giving me a blissful tone. Just not sure the volume would cut it.