Tech 21 Power Engine vs Vintage Orange Roland Cube 60

• Going FRFR, which of these would make the best choice to be connected to the Monitor out? Opinions please.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hello Zappledan, I use a PE 60 with the original speaker. I compared it directly with my Mackie MR5 MKII Active Monitors and there's nearly no difference in the sound, maybe a little bit more heights or brilliance missing, but absolutely no big deal and I can live with that.
    I use the new SW Version 1.54 and the Cab Driver works pretty well. I use the PE60 as a monitor in rehearsals, its got enough power and my sound cuts through with no problem. We record our rehearsals so I know that my sound is also great when recorded - I'm really happy with the PE 60.
    And of course, compared to the sound through our cheap PA, there's also no difference: I hear the sound, that I programmed at home - no further tweaking needed.

• Yes, cab sims of. Doc does it.

Yes, the M III is highly recommended.
    It's an awesome little amp of high quality and makes an awesome backup rig, too.
    If it was broken I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
    But it never failed on me once.

For the record:
    Since the cabdriver feature was introduced I personally left the FRFR route that I had been following for years.
    Cabdriver yields such fantastic results that I sold my Atomic FR's.

So nobody is forced (or tempted) to swap cabs in a Mustang or in a Power Engine any more.

• Thanks everyone. I've just been using mine in a home studio environment, but expect to eventually move to a gig environment. I'm currently running two RCF ART310A's and like the sound very much. However, it occurred to me that in a live situation I would want the feel of an amp behind me - hence the original question. It's curious that no one is using one of the old Roland Cube 60's (from before they added COSM to them), as they appear to be rugged and very well respected (particularly for jazz).

@Doc - how are you configured when using your Mustang III? Are you using the standard guitar input, or is there a preamp bypass? Also, since I've not used this configuration before, so I'm curious to try out this "CabDriver" capability. Interesting that this term doesn't seem to appear in the official Kemper doc ...

• @Doc - how are you configured when using your Mustang III? Are you using the standard guitar input, or is there a preamp bypass? Also, since I've not used this configuration before, so I'm curious to try out this "CabDriver" capability. Interesting that this term doesn't seem to appear in the official Kemper doc ...

Zap, the Mustang III has a loop, so I go straight Guitar - KPA - Mustang Return. This way the M III only makes an excellent light- weight power amp.
    With the KPA I use monitor out with 'cab off' checked. This enables the cabdriver function. I also lower the highs and bring up a little bass on Monitor EQ to my liking.

Actually there is some cabdriver talk in the Kemper news.
    http://kemper-amps.com/page/re…lifier___Latest_News.html
    (Scroll down).

Still I feel this genius feature has not yet been correctly communicated and advertised.
    No other device features anything like it.

• Thanks Doc. I'm picking up one of these tomorrow and have high expectations 8o

Zap, let me know how it works out.

I have literally owned every peace of gear designed for the amplification of modellers since I started to moderate the German Line 6 forum 10 years ago, incl. the 1st Atomic with 18 w, 2x EL 84 tubes, the 2nd Atomic with 50W, 2x 6L6 tubes, the Tech 21 Power Engine, the Atomic FR (cabs and wedge).
    But the Mustang III is the best solution I have ever heard yet, personally.

• I have the tech 21 and added a Pyle tweeter to get more of a full range. Used it for two months and now trying a crate power block that I can run into a cabinet or stage monitor. So far I like the sound it is producing. There is also an Electronic harmonix power amp 44magnum that might do it for you.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Why not the active version of camper cabs ?

I already own two RCF ART310A's and am looking for a monitor with sound similar to a "guitar amp". I picked up the Mustang III for $275 + tax brand new. Hard to compete with that if it's as good as Doc says ...

• depending on what you find with the Mustang, although discontinued, you might try the Crate Power Block with a cabinet. I do a lot of ABY against my tube amps and if that is the sound you are after I can tell you it is there.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup: