Rack unit

• Unknown as of this time. It might be a bit of marketing error for Kemper to NOT continue cashing in on the current form factor before developing a rackmountable unit. Many current owners would be selling their units to buy the rack version. Therefore, a substantial used market would be created. Would-be buyers wouldn't buy new ones, they would buy second-hand.
    I'm guessing they stand to sell many more of the toaster versions. This is all speculation on my part, of course. I asked why the current form factor but I didn't get an answer. I asked because I thought there is an inherent risk selling the unit in this form. It's unorthodox.
    It works for me though! I'm just stating a perception by some other guitar players.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• And -for me at least- the form factor really grew on me.
    When I would have had the choice between toaster and rack when I bought it, I would have gone for the rack.
    However, now that I've worked with the current device for almost a year , I wouldn't want nor need the rack version.
    I use it both for band rehearsal/gigging and in the home studio, so it's really convenient to take it to rehearsal and connect it to my rack, and afterwards take it home and connect it to my audio interface. Works surprisingly well and the buttons and display are always within reach to make quick adjustments.

I could understand that gigging musicians want a rack version to store it all neatly and compactly, but I'm pretty sure a lot of usability will be lost when doing so...most people still drag a 100W+ head on stage, this is the same thing, just lighter and smaller (and way more powerful). But admittedly, it looks atypical. If money wouldn't be an issue, in an ideal world I would have the toaster in the studio and a rack unit permanently connected to my gigging rack...but I'd rather spend the cash on additional toys than have that minor "inconvenience" :D

• I could understand that gigging musicians want a rack version to store it all neatly and compactly, but I'm pretty sure a lot of usability will be lost when doing so...most people still drag a 100W+ head on stage, this is the same thing, just lighter and smaller (and way more powerful). But admittedly, it looks atypical. If money wouldn't be an issue, in an ideal world I would have the toaster in the studio and a rack unit permanently connected to my gigging rack...but I'd rather spend the cash on additional toys than have that minor "inconvenience" :D

Well, it could turn out the opposite way.

The current unit could turn out to be the 'live rig' choice and the rack unit the better choice for the studio.
    Think about it, pretty soon every current unit is going to have a poweramp fitted, I doubt the rack unit will have a built in poweramp...it will be easier and cooler to gig with the toaster/poweramp and a rack version fitted neatly into the studio.

I think a lot of current owners will want to own both versions.

• Well, it could turn out the opposite way.

The current unit could turn out to be the 'live rig' choice and the rack unit the better choice for the studio.
    Think about it, pretty soon every current unit is going to have a poweramp fitted, I doubt the rack unit will have a built in poweramp...it will be easier and cooler to gig with the toaster/poweramp and a rack version fitted neatly into the studio.

I think a lot of current owners will want to own both versions.

I started out from my standpoint which is a modest home studio, but I see your point :)