Noise problems

• Yesterday I had a recording session and I couldn't use my KPA because of noise problems. I used a cleanish profile and added the stomp box compressor. The noise sounded like a grounding problem but I am quite sure it is not the grounding. The cables are good and it is not the typcal single coil noise. I also tried it with humbuckers - no improvements. Firmware is the latest, but the one before did the same.

I know that a compressor can add (or enhance) noise. But it shouldn't be that bad. Also without compressor there is noise. It seems that there is to much unwanted noise in all presets. I am in thailand, and I know that the electricty supply is not the same as in Germany for instance. The studio is top notch professional. So what can i do? Any suggestions?

• I had a horrible humming noise at our gig (wasn't there at home) even though everything was plugged into a power conditioner and luckily the ground lift switch for the effects loop worked (I use the effects loop on all patches). Totally silent after that.

I suspect it is the power wiring somewhere. You might even want to plug it into an outlet with a ground lift on the power itself (also plug into a good power conditioner if possible). The simple 3-prong to 2-prong lifts would be a good start. Not sure how that works in Thailand but, it's a must here in the states.

Good luck!

J

• I am not using the noise gate for testing. I am recording a kind of smooth jazz sound. So I need long sustain with clean sounds. The noise gate cuts the notes too much. But I thing with clean sounds I shouldn't need it.

I just ried to connect the KPA with a 2-prong plug. No improvement. I suspect bad quality electricity here in Thailand. A lot of air conditions, fans and other stuff is running arround me. Not in my house. For testing I shut down everything.

That's bad, because now I can't use my KPA for the upcomming productions. I have to play though computer plugins now. What a mess. I have the best sounds in a box and cannot let it out. That's life.