Update questions

• Hi All,
    I have a KPA that I bought back this summer and have not gotten around to doing any updates and I am about to catch up with them. Do I need to do all of the updates that I have missed or can I go with the most current one (i.e. thinking that it has all of the old updates integrated into it)? Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

• If you're below 1.5.0 I suggest to make first the 1.5.4 and then the 1.6.0. otherwise go for the newest directly

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• If you're below 1.5.0 I suggest to make first the 1.5.4 and then the 1.6.0. otherwise go for the newest directly

I'm in the same boat. Have never done any firmware updates and it concerns me to find advice like this missing from the instructions which accompany the latest firmware update. If multiple firmware upgrade stages are indeed necessary to upgrade from very early firmware versions then it bothers me that this isn't called out in a more obvious/prominent manner. I suppose I'm lucky to have stumbled upon this detail in this little thread in the corner of the forums. :(

It would be very helpful to have a sticky thread "So you've never modified your KPA and you want to update it to the latest firmware and incorporate all new factory preset packs" which also details where to read the latest up-to-date manual (is the online manual updated with the new features in the latest firmware?).

• Another thing I'd like to understand is how to get optimal naming/tagging for the factory profiles. I recall reading somewhere in these forums how the community seemed to be settling on an intelligent naming/tagging convention, and if this is the case and if it has been impkemented in the latest firmware or rig packs then Id like to know how to properly update my never-been-updated KPA so that it has intelligible names. I dont know if its recommended for me to clear out some/all settings/profiles before a firmware upgrade. Conceptually I thought that the firmware upgrade wouldnt affect profiles but I think i must be misunderstanding this because apparently some new presets are included within some of the firmware upgrades.

Its very frustrating to me that the upgrade path is so poorly documented. You have to dig through these forums for random tips which have questionable authority.

From my perspective, KPA has tearfully-wonderful tone, but stone age management tools, awkward community tools (core to the KPA idea is the ability for usere to easily share profiles, but the profile download site is terribly inefficient - it needs better search/ranking filters, and the ability for mass download - such as a "download all profiles and include a browser-viewable xml dump table describing each file in the package including ranking info" link, and ability for users to post sound samples associated with each profile and comments), and critical details and instructions are very difficult to hunt down. Just my opinion/perspective.

• It is suggested to have max 1000 profiles WHILE updating, after it you can load the rest again. Concerning the naming convention that was a private initiative from maurizio70. His backup file is still available in this forum. I have stream it down to 75 profiles so I have no issues with naming.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• That warning (not to update firmware if you have over 1000 profiles stored on the KPA) I have noticed in the firmware release notes. Thanks. :)

• I just discovered your document. Am looking forward to reading it. Thank you for creating and maintaining it! I am finding many answers in the forums (and more questions), but forum mining is an inefficient approach. It is much preferred to have an organized exhaustive manual and your wiki appears to be filling that vacuum. As long as the KPA folks give sound quality the priority these omissions are, to me, forgivable. I hope they are sufficiently successful to pull in enough resources to eventually shore up some facets which affect user experience (better (any) management tools, better profile sharing site, and in this case more comprehensive docs). These are likely just the (typical) growing pains of any business. I have high hopes for them and this community.

• LOL

That's amusing...thanks, guys X)

This is actually something I usually do for myself when I approach a complex device. I had started doing the same for the Axe-Fx before deciding that Fractal will never see my money.
    It's true tho that since I decided to make the wiKPA public I paid more attention to its look, usability, consistency.
    Really glad that something good comes from this project, both for me and the community :)