MOTU Ultralite MK3

• hiho,

I want to have an audiointerface for my kemper now I saw the MOTU Ultralite MK3 for 230€ (used) (new 500€)

I will it use also for my neumann kms 105.
    I want to use spdif which cable do i have to use ?

http://www.thomann.de/at/the_sssnake_cck2_audiokabel.htm

I use Win8 x64 Studio One 2
    I dont have any experience with that. Please answer quick ^^

okey, I didnt get it (also read that spdif makes problem)

Edited once, last by kamin21 ().

• yes heard that people do that with this interface. But objective you have a lossless transfer of data/sound with spdif. (Input colors more the sound....in a good or bad way)
    I agree that sometimes transfer via input sounds better but my opinion is that an audiointerface has to sound as neutral as possible.
    I'm not good in this field, i can only say what other people told me.

• Hello Kamin,
    from the pictures I saw on the Net it seems that the Ultralite and the KPA share the same S\PDIF sockets. So the cable you linked in the OP seems quite right to me :)

• Hello Kamin,
    from the pictures I saw on the Net it seems that the Ultralite and the KPA share the same S\PDIF sockets. So the cable you linked in the OP seems quite right to me :)

Yes confirm, they both shared the same Spdif sockets ...

Just wonder will there be a difference if you were to buy a twin to twin (RCA as per your picture) to a one to one (RCA)?
    Normally for RCA cabling, the Red will denote for Left and White for Right for example .. However for Spdif connection, its meant for "In" & "Out". I suppose for recording, you will most likely connect the "Out" from Kemper into "In" of your audio interface unless for specify application you may want to route it back to your kemper "In" and "Out" from your interface.. ie Reamp (Im not familar with reamp though...)

• thank you for your answers, but the auction is over.... ;(
    no matter I want to have a good interface for max. 350€ (used)
    I only need USB,2 inputs, spdif coax and good preamps for vocal is motu a good choice?

yes i wonna reamp (not now but for future projects, nobody knows whats coming next after cab maker, for ozone its seems interesting)

I hear motu has problem with spdif and usb (is that right?) I dont wanna an babyface (good but expansive and i need converter for optical/coax spdif)

Edited 2 times, last by kamin21 ().

• thank you for your answers, but the auction is over.... ;(
    no matter I want to have a good interface for max. 350€ (used)
    I only need USB,2 inputs, spdif coax and good preamps for vocal is motu a good choice?

yes i wonna reamp (not now but for future projects, nobody knows whats coming next after cab maker, for ozone its seems interesting)

I hear motu has problem with spdif and usb (is that right?) I dont wanna an babyface (good but expansive and i need converter for optical/coax spdif)

For my MOTU, im running via firewire .. So far no problem at all. Spdif, never try before, so couldn't comment much...

• Just wonder will there be a difference if you were to buy a twin to twin (RCA as per your picture) to a one to one (RCA)?
    Normally for RCA cabling, the Red will denote for Left and White for Right for example .. However for Spdif connection, its meant for "In" & "Out". I suppose for recording, you will most likely connect the "Out" from Kemper into "In" of your audio interface unless for specify application you may want to route it back to your kemper "In" and "Out" from your interface.. ie Reamp (Im not familar with reamp though...)

If I got you right, unlike an audio application the two cables don't serve a left and right channel, but each of them carries all the needed signals: one cable following the KPA->I\F route, one cable the other way around. So a double cable covers all the I\O, bi-directional needs.

In the case of a digital signal, the two different colours are just handy for checking that you did not get mistaken and did not mess up the ins and the outs (if they were the same, you might mistakenly connect the output with the output):)

• I have been using the mk3 ultra FireWire version for several years with great results. I have used boss gt10 via spdif in no problem and I plan on using my kemper via spdif as soon as it arrives. I also use the motu spdif out to my digital monitors and they sound great. Also to clarify some of the other replies spdif is not the same as RCA it is a 75 ohm coaxial cable. connection will be kemper spdif out to motu spdif in. :)