monitor out to a mesa 290

• hi there. one question.

I would like to test try the kemper using the master out to the pa and the monitor out to a power amp and guitar speaker/cabinet for my ears.

The monitor out is a mono output. so I can go to either one or the other input of the mesa and I should be set, with only one speaker though.

so I was thinking to by a Lehle splitter so that the kemper monitor out gets to the splitter and then it exits to the 290 to the 2 inputs. this way I would have two speaker functioning.

of course I won't have stereo effects. I know this.

I was thinking if I could do this. any thoughts about it? any advices?

michael

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• FYI.. I heard someone say that there is a way to run monitor out in stereo using one of the other output plugs as the 2nd channel....something about a hidden menu.

I have a full range stereo amp and could benefit from this. Anyone care to enlighten us?

bd

• You can run stereo using monitor out and the send, but you cannot defeat the cab on it. There is actually no other way to run guitar cabs in stereo as disabling the cab from the front panel, but then you need to mic the cabs.

To do what the OP ask is enough a split cable, no need to spend money for a Lehle

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• ok. let's resume:
    monitor out is a mono output and along send output could be used but only the monitor out is able to run with the cab off. send output is only with cab on.

@guitarnet 70: a split cable how is it made. guess the jack into the monitor output is a mono standard one, i.e. tip/sleeve wiring. what happens with the two jacks going to the 290? guess I have to split the sleeve for two jacks as well as for the tip. but I may be wrong on this...........

anyone cna guide me through the wiring?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• Basically, both the "signal" (tip) and the "ground" (sleeve) are split in two (divided into two branches), as simple as it sounds.
    OTOH, a simple 1-mono-In-2-nomo-Outs adapter costs a few cents (1 € maybe?): might be worth considering.

• Take a dual cable, solder 2 mono jack on one side and solder both tips and both sleeves to the same mono jack on the other side. Done. ;)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• thanks the both of you for the tip.

indeed a lehle splitter is 120 euro while a nice cable cannot go more than a hew euros if bought with some good jacks.

I was thinking to buy a one stereo jack to two mono jack y cable, cut away the stereo jack and fix a mono jack to the place of the stereo but guess there is two separate tips but only the common sleeve. instead, a dual cable would be easier to do, I guess.

Gianfranco, any links for the cable you mentioned?

• I run monitor out into a Marshal 9100 and run both sides so two cabs. It's not stereo but i go direct to the PA with the main outs.

On the marshal if you only put an input in channel A it acts as the input for both channels.....not sure if the Mesa does this but it might be worth a try.

Cheers
    Mike

• I was thinking to buy a one stereo jack to two mono jack y cable, cut away the stereo jack and fix a mono jack to the place of the stereo but guess there is two separate tips but only the common sleeve. instead, a dual cable would be easier to do, I guess.

It might work as well, the KPA output might just close the circuit on one of the two tips, it happens very often with mono devices.

Gianfranco, any links for the cable you mentioned?

I was thinking of something even easier TBH. Just ask for one with mono sockets. With this device you can use two usual cables of yours. They will of course bring the same signal (it's basically a splitter).

:)

• I was having the same problem. Luckily i still had a T.C. G-Major which i now use as "monitor out" splitter with effects set to bypass. It´s pretty nice like this because the 4 band fully parametric EQ is quite useful to further fine tune the monitor our signal.

Even if you don´t have any FX device, that runs mono -> stereo, you wouldnt need a Lehle splitter, since the monitor our signal is at line level already. Those Lehle splitters are very high quality but are designed for high impedance guitar signals (passive guitar pickups) to avoid signal degradation. A low impedance line level signal is rather robust. Cheap solutions and cables are totally ok for line level signals while guitar output signals need high quality stuff....

• Hi Michael,

I have the eksakt same setup, and I use a y-splitter for headphone the reverse way, that is trs stereo to 2x trs stereo

And it works just fine. But im not sure if there are any phase issue.

If all of us with a stereo amp make a request to mr. Kemper to also make the direkt out work as monitor out and make it with a cab off funktion. That would be nice.

It is a mess to use main out and lock cab! If you trim your anny rig and save, it will be savede with the locked cab.

• thanks again for the replies. do you think this plugging will cause ground loops?

Not sure you're asking me... in case you are, I'd say no. If a ground loop occurred it would happen anyway, because the two involved devices are the same (KPA-amp).

OTOH, the KPA is gifted with one of the most complete and versatile ground-lifting system I've ever seen :)

• I was thinking to buy a one stereo jack to two mono jack y cable, cut away the stereo jack and fix a mono jack to the place of the stereo

Thats what i would do, just connect both the wire that was connected to the ring and the wire that was connected to the tip on the stereo plug to the tip of the mono plug that you are replacing it with and of course the sleeve wire(shield) to sleeve and you should be good to go.

• Not sure you're asking me... in case you are, I'd say no. If a ground loop occurred it would happen anyway, because the two involved devices are the same (KPA-amp).

OTOH, the KPA is gifted with one of the most complete and versatile ground-lifting system I've ever seen :)

yeah I was asking to you too. and you are right the ground lift should do the job.

but gibson feature request should be taken into consideration though: to have the direct out with the cab off possibility.

• but gibson feature request should be taken into consideration though: to have the direct out with the cab off possibility.

Sounds like a good idea to be able to use it to bring stereo functionality to the monitor out for those that prefer it and dont need the output for other things.

• Slightly OT... strange that a musician doesn't have one of those cheap adapters along with many others... when I'm around I always have a FirstAid bag with me full of tricks. I just thought it was quite common :)

• Slightly OT... strange that a musician doesn't have one of those cheap adapters along with many others... when I'm around I always have a FirstAid bag with me full of tricks. I just thought it was quite common :)

I also carry a bag with all possible crap in it....just in case... ;(:D