Hm, don't like the sound from FW 1.6 (Edit Fixed now)

• Notice, there hasn't been one crunch or hi gain comparison clip, only pristine clean tone comparisons.
    Even on the clean comparisons, the difference is so negligible that it's a 50/50...if you listen to the clean clip comparison today you might choose differently when you listen to the same clip tomorrow.

Not true. Check the thread again. Several users including me posted clips. Together they cover pretty well the whole gain range from clean to high gain. The differences are not negligible for at least a good number of the participants in the thread to the point that they have gone back or stayed in a previous FW version after listening or doing comparisons.

• I'm still using 1.1.0 that came out late June and I am happy as a clam. I havent seen anything in the updates that made me feel like I needed to update. My machine works flawlessly and sounds amazing. Done!

+1

• No, too much work but i will provide a comparaison clip of 1.6.0 with a reference record.(original amp)
    By the way if i had to compare 1.6.0 it would be with 1.5.2, because IMO it rings less and less since 1.5.3.

Perhaps i'm wrong but i think that the profiling is not affected, just the rendering changed sligthly.

• Yeah, the difference is not negligible. That special mojo, sparkle... whatever you want to call it is missing from the profiles. Especially bothering on cleaner tones.

It is missing because it was not there.
    If you put good tones into the Kemper you will still get good tones.
    Now you have many solutions :
    1_ be lucky, it rings with your traditionnal audio chain, you have nothing to do
    2_ it sounds flat, you can process the tone thru a preamp like a BAE 1073 or something else.

If you don't have the money for a BAE 1073 i recommend to use Nebula. Best bang for the bucks. Process your signal into a 96Khz Nebula's preamp and sent it back to the kemper during profiling.
    Nebula needs power i never tested it with the kemper but i will now.

• I just wish I could click an A/B button and flick between 1.5.4 and 1.6 to compare them both instantly.

Yes it is really difficult to judge this. That is why it is so important to have meaningful soundsamples posted here.

No, too much work but i will provide a comparaison clip of 1.6.0 with a reference record.(original amp)

Doing really meaningful soundsamples is indeed quite a bit of work and it needs really pristine recording gear to compare the profiling in different FW because, we are talking of really tiny little details in the sound. This work should, and certainly is beeing done by the Kemper team. And those who demand the Kemper team to join in here should take it that way: their silence for more than two days now here is already a statement.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• +1. I'm enyoing 1.5.4 again and waiting for an answer. No more testing... but a bit nervous about it because opinions are divided.

Soon you will have access to Matt Nermaks profiles. They should be recorded with great audio chain.
    Perhaps you will be able to check if your KPA is always able to ring or not. ;)

• I'm pretty puzzled by the divided opinions. :huh: Is it really not that obvious?
    And the most important thing is that I feel my favorite clean profiles play differently. Less organic, chimey, ... insert all the magic words here. Not a simple EQ change. On recordings it is not that apparent. When you play, it seems more of a bigger change.

• I'm pretty puzzled by the divided opinions. :huh: Is it really not that obvious?
    And the most important thing is that I feel my favorite clean profiles play differently. Less organic, chimey, ... insert all the magic words here. Not a simple EQ change. On recordings it is not that apparent. When you play, it seems more of a bigger change.

Yes. This is what I feel with clean to crunch profiles but some high gain users seem to be happier with the new firmware.

• Yes, but "spectral content" is not that apparent in high gain tones. It might feel a little brighter or darker... no big deal. But for slightly dirty and clean sounds in my opinion is more important and noticeable. IMHO only of course. And most importantly it is always easier to remove something than to add it back.

• "spectral content" is not that apparent in high gain tones. It might feel a little brighter or darker... no big deal. But for slightly dirty and clean sounds in my opinion is more important and noticeable. IMHO only of course. And most importantly it is always easier to remove something than to add it back.

+1!

AFAIR the questions about aliasing came from issues in extreme high gain settings.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• I hear a change in both low gain and high gain.

Some high gain profiles sound much better because the aliasing is gone and the TS fixed.

Since I still have my tube amps here I was able to check if it was me or the KPA.

Then I switched back to 1.52 and all was fine - except the artefacts for high gain.

Then I started this thread and switched between 1.52, 1.54 and 1.60 and did some clips.

For me there is a big difference - I am also a hifi freak - and buy expensive cables and so on to improve the sound. There is a saying if you can hear a difference then it's a big change - if you can feel it then there is a change.

I am glad that others hear/feel the same - first I thought it was my hearing or my mind plays tricks.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 4 times, last by Armin ().

• I don't understand the issue though i agree with the sound change.

Do you mean that you put a microphone in front of your amp and get a lot of chime, then you make a profile and the kemper lost the chime?
    If the KPA copies perfectly the tone of your amp then there is no issue.

Do you mean that you put a microphone in front of your amp and get a lot of chime, then you make a profile and the kemper lost the chime?

Nothing to do with profiling!!! It is a "tonal and feeling" change between 1.5.4 and 1.6.0!!!

You put a microphone in front of your amp and get a lot of chime, then you try the profile of the same you did some months ago and was spot on with 1.5.4 and is flat and lifeless with 1.6.0.

• You put a microphone in front of your amp and get a lot of chime, then you try the profile of the same you did some months ago and was spot on with 1.5.4 and is flat and lifeless with 1.6.0.

So you've made Profiles with 1.6.0 and the Profile doesn't sound like the amp?

Sorry, I think the 'flat and lifeless' is a gross over exaggeration.
    It's impossible for a minuscule EQ change to turn into "Lifeless"...there's no conceivable way the Kemper team would have released a firmware that reduced the Kemper to flat and lifeless...IMPOSSIBLE!

Once again I'm playing my BS card. :)

• Sorry, I think the 'flat and lifeless' is a gross over exaggeration.
    It's impossible for a minuscule EQ change to turn into "Lifeless"...there's no conceivable way the Kemper team would have released a firmware that reduced the Kemper to flat and lifeless...IMPOSSIBLE!

I don't know what is the problem, but I've sharing opinions with owners of the KPA here and in spanish forums and this is what people think. As Armin said, I don't want to play the KPA with 1.6 firmware. I'm back to 1.5.4, waiting for an answer and, once we get that answer, I'll decide what I do but I can assure you that I'm not going to upgrade this 1.6 firmware or a similar sounding one.