Hendrix Ultimate tone

• Can someone chime in and share his favored Hendrix rigs, parameters ?
    Talking about amp stack , I barely find any good Marshal who can do good Hendrix .
    But in contraire , I find that Fargain, Supro, Trainwreck Twoorocks ....can do Hendrix amazingly good .
    Am I am missing something with Marshalls ?

Also, any set up for his famous pedals he used will be very appreciated -like univib per example...

Basically

there are two Hendrix tones , say clean ,like for Little Wing or Angel , or more heavy : Voodochild etc...

Thanks !

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• I've found Kemper Sheryl Crowe Marshall profiles sounds good with the neck pick up of my Roadhouse Strat for those cleaner chiming sounds - and put the rotary on is great fun, although not sure how close it really is..
    :)
    Neil

• The best one for me by far is And44's (Amp Factory) 59 Bassman. Absolutely nails Hendrix clean, hairy-clean and OD tones. Pop a fuzz face in front and it's Hendrix heaven.

Best £4.99 I've ever spent.

Other ones are:

Mesa TA-30 CruncTweed and Stomp_Lovepedal Tchu

• Thanks guys, will we give it a try .
    I think I have Bassman 59 and 61 !

Anyone else (trying to

8|

:D

) playing Hendrix here ?

• Hendrix used whatever he could get his hands on in the studio. I've read somewhere that his cleaner sounds were mostly Fender amps. A Dual Showman even made it on stage during the "Experience" tour. Look for any vintage Fender profile and you have a good starting point. As always Andy44 has some very good stuff.

Hendrix distorted sounds were always Marshall though. But the distortion didn't came out of his amps exclusively. Actually the Superleads he was playing were moderate gain amps according to modern standards. To get such an amp to really distort you'd need a pedal of some sort. Some people were using treble-boosters like the Dallas Range Master (Clapton, Blackmore, Rory Gallagher), but Jimi used a Fuzz Face. That might be the reason you are hearing Jimi more in the amps you mentioned. They all have more gain or more distortion right from the start. A vintage Plexi Marshall has not.

To emulate the original setup you'll need a profile of a vintage Plexi (there are quite some on the Exchange and again Andy44 has some of the best) and put a Fuzz in one of the stomp-slots. I'm not sure which Fuzz they modelled for the KPA so be prepared it will sound a bit different. As for the cab look for a Marshall with G12H30. I think Andy44 has a couple of them even in his original (free) pack. Also the blackback Marshall cab in Rig Pack 1 are G12H30, so that would work as well (it's the cab on the Rig "talk to me" or on all Siggi Mehl 50 amps. The Siggi Mehl without "50" has a G12M25 though also magic cab, you might want to try it too). Most other Marshall cabs (factory or exchange) have V30 speakers and you don't want them for Hendrix. They are not even remotely close.

• That is correct, in the studio, Jimi used a lot of Fender amps--Bassman (Voodoo Chile), Dual Showman, and Twins. Also, he did use slightly different Marshalls, a JTM45/100 which is a JTM45 increased to 100 watts along with having JBLs in some of his speaker cabinets. So, he had a lot higher headroom in some of his sounds than the typical amp would have. If you use a standard Plexi or JTM patch, it will break up too soon. Like Garrincha said, he basically used whatever he could get his hands on and probably didn't use the same amp or settings twice. :D

If you go and really listen to the Hendrix tones on records, they may not be what you think they are. What we *think* the Jimi sound is and what is actually was are often two different things I find.

We do a few Hendrix covers and after auditioning everything, I also settled on the And44 TwoRock stuff since it has a little more chime to it and gets me where I want it to sound. Sure, Jimi didn't play a Two Rock but, it sounds and plays the way I want it to so, it don't matter much!

As far as pedals, Jimi used a variety of fuzzes--silicon and germanium, even a Big Muff later on. So, even the standard Fuzz Face doesn't quite get you there on every tune.

J

• @Myramid

That's why I am begging Andy to profile a JTM45/100 ;) But originals are hard to come by, would be a very welcome addition to the Marshall profiles we already have.

Another famous 45/100 user was Clapton on the early Cream records. I think Angus young played them on the classic AC/DC records too.

• The best one for me by far is And44's (Amp Factory) 59 Bassman. Absolutely nails Hendrix clean, hairy-clean and OD tones. Pop a fuzz face in front and it's Hendrix heaven.
    Best £4.99 I've ever spent.

Cheers for this tip - just added this and the Bassman head from pack 2 to my collection and they sound sweet. :thumbup:

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Yeah, it's hard to know exactly what he used where but, he did use a Bassman quite a bit in the studio. For sure he used a cranked Bassman on Voodoo Chile (supposedly just straight in, no fuzz on that one).

From what I've heard he rarely used Marshalls in the studio, since they were a bit too loud to control.

For the non-clean stuff I prefer his live Marshall tones but for the clean stuff I like the studio Fender stuff better. Considering the Bassman and JTM45 are nearly identical, I would imagine you can cover all the Hendrix sounds with that profile, perhaps tweaking some cabinets along the way.

J

• Fantastic ! Thanks guys .

• Hey Einar ,
    Thanks very much for the generous offer , but I will stick to the Kemper at this point .

It sound a little better to me

;)

• Hey Einar ,
    Thanks very much for the generous offer , but I will stick to the Kemper at this point .

It sound a little better to me

;)

Well, that's what happens when my native language is not english 8)

What I really meant was that I have it in-house, but haven't got around to profile it yet...

• Well, that's what happens when my native language is not english 8)

What I really meant was that I have it in-house, but haven't got around to profile it yet...

My native language is also not English, but I understood your offer right I guess.

If you finde the time, yes, please do a profile of that stack. It is probably the best reissue of the current Marshall line-up. I've played one in a store and I was amazed about the tone.

• The greatest Hendrix tone and song is........MACHINE GUN!!! :thumbup: ...watch the Isle of Wight DVD.

One suggestion, put the Phaser/Univibe before your distortion pedals...only have your Wah in front of the Univibe.

• Well, that's what happens when my native language is not english 8)

Hey Man , no hassle 8)
    My Mother language isn't English either , so no problem .

I stopped to play Marshall's amps sometime in late '80 ies , for the same reason I stop to play Fender and Gibson guitars .
    Mass production, no QC , terrible factory setup , using cheap things for hardware and make a profit out of the brand name .

That's why I am very suspicious to any Marshal, or Fender (guitars) or Gibson in the stores today .
    They are rubbish in 90 % of case , sorry to all owners of such an equipment . You can call me purist , but that's just my humble opinion .
    I was enough lucky to play my first gig back to 1968 , when I was 13 , on the real Fender amp , and later on real Marshall amps .

Unfortunately , all that amps just gone by wind , we were not so sage to understand importance of amp quality of those golden times ...

We're thought it will last forever like that ..but we were wrong ...

Also , I must admit I didn't had a chance to play that particularly amp from your link .

Hope it is better than standard mass Marshall production .

That's why Kemper is solution to this problem -one can play honest boutique amps -Trainwreck , Tworock or Fargan .... at least with 80 % of reality .

Or to buy boutique guitars which are not so much expensive than mass produced things called guitars .

Back to subject , IMHO, Supro Jimi and Fargain are by far the best profiles for Hendrix tone , no any Marshall profile can get even close to it .

It is funny when digital , say virtual reality of Kemper shows and mirror "the real reality " of amps .....( i hope you will understand this non-English

Edited 2 times, last by Rescator ().