Problems with SPDIF (clock sync, MOTU interface and re-amping content)

• Hi all!

I'm having difficulties in getting the Kemper working with my MOTU Audio Express. The odd part is that I swapped out my M-Audio FW410 interface just recently where everything worked perfectly - spdif and reamping. Therefore I would really appreciate if MOTU users shared their experience - either I'm configuring the Motu incorrectly or there is an error in the new 1.6 firmware .. or my brain

2 main questions:

1. How to get the SPDIF working with MOTU. Would appreciate a ton if someone could walk through the MOTU settings step by step (in CueMix). Currently the clock is set "spdif" in motu, the spdif cable is plugged in correctly (kemper out - motu in, motu out - kemper in) but the 44.1 kHz indicator keeps blinking = no clock sync?

2. Re-amping (either via analog inputs or SPDIF does not work) - how do you configure the MOTU CueMix FX software. I'm still unable to get signal back into the Kemper apart from a terrible feedback.

Any help is greatly appreciated - I must be missing something simple

:S

• To be certain, I unmuted everything on all buses/mixes.

The 44.1 kHz light still keeps blinking on my MOTU - I believe its not able to sync for some reason.

In case, if you are using MOTU/cuemix - could you provide a screenshot of yours?

• 1. How to get the SPDIF working with MOTU. Would appreciate a ton if someone could walk through the MOTU settings step by step (in CueMix). Currently the clock is set "spdif" in motu, the spdif cable is plugged in correctly (kemper out - motu in, motu out - kemper in) but the 44.1 kHz indicator keeps blinking = no clock sync?

I can't find anything wrong in your description.... but the blinking led definitely indicates that the interface can't find the sync.
    If cables are ok and you didn't invert by mistake some cable I think that you have an hardware problem.

BTW, if you set the internal clock in your MOTU Audio Setup you should hear the SPDIF channel. Of course with some little click every few seconds because both devices are set to master, but it should work if nothing is faulty.
    You should try just to check if the digital ports are working properly...

• Success!!

The SPDIF problem is solved now - reamping question remains.

Thanks a lot ballantine and benvdd - got confirmation that my settings with the Motu are correct and the problem is elsewhere. In case anyone stumbles on something similar - check that 44.1 khz tickbox is also checked under windows 7 volume controls (Sound>Playback>MOTU spdif>Properties). For some odd reason 44.1 wasn't ticked there and additionally I'm surprised that Win7 volume controls play any part in this. Isn't the Motu supposed to be a "standalone" unit in this case?

2. But back to re-amping - I'm having trouble reamping either via spdif or analog. Could anyone share their knowledge on Motu and/or the CueMix software that controls the Motu. Currently I'm just getting terrible squealing (as if I'm monitoring something that I shouldn't) instead of guitar.

Once again, thanks a lot!

• 2. But back to re-amping - I'm having trouble reamping either via spdif or analog. Could anyone share their knowledge on Motu and/or the CueMix software that controls the Motu. Currently I'm just getting terrible squealing (as if I'm monitoring something that I shouldn't) instead of guitar.

What DAW do you want to use?
    Do you already have the track that you want to re-amp?
    The basic steps are: set spdif out to that track (in your DAW) and enable spdif in in your KPA.... then record the output (spdif or analog) in another track. That's it...

• What DAW do you want to use?

Do you already have the track that you want to re-amp?
    The basic steps are: set spdif out to that track (in your DAW) and enable spdif in in your KPA.... then record the output (spdif or analog) in another track. That's it...

I'm using Cubase 6.5 and I have the dry guitar track ready.

I think I have the basic steps correct - meaning I'm sending my dry track OUT via spdif on one track and recording the spdif IN on another track. I've actually done it a number of times successfully with my previous soundcard - but I'm doing something incorrectly with the Motu and suspecting its in the CueMix software that Motu uses. SPDIF input is enabled on the Kemper but the input led does not light up - the signal doesn't even reach Kemper.

• Problem solved.

Turned out CueMix didn't have much to do with the problem. I can send screenshots of the mixers in case anybody runs into the same issues. Windows settings do play a role and need to be double checked. Additionally the input bus in Cubase needs to be double-checked (doh) :)