[ckemper's help needed] Profiling two mixed amps

• If think you're right but it's because of that we're trying to find solutions to blend/mix amps the best way possible. Maybe in ten years we'll never talk about that anymore.
    dhodgson and I gave two solutions. Maybe Chris Kemper has another one. I hope he'll give us his opinion.

The solution to tracking is simple. Its what is actually quite often done in a studio which is to record a dry track and reamp or to simply double track. The live scenario is the only case which the Kemper just really can't handle dual amps. The more I've read about people wanting to mix profiles, it seems most are talking more about layering in which both sounds are distinctly audible in the end mix (like mixing a clean and distorted amp). The only way to do this is with loading dual profiles. While The idea of mixing 2 amp's tones to form one sound (the sum of both amps) presumably so each amp answers a tonal deficiency of the other can largely be accomplished by the deeper amp and cab parameters (pick, clarity, definition, cabinet character, cab low and high, etc). I posted this before, but it probably bears repeating. When you have a device as advanced as the Kemper, often you simply need to think inside the box and forget the traditional ways in which you might address a tone issue, rather look at the tools you have at hand.

• I wonder if the KPA is technically capable to run 2 seperate rigs or stacks with the first rig/stack being applied to the left channel only and the second one to the right channel only.
    Somewhere inside the KPA the signal chain switches from mono to stereo and I would guess this happens pretty early ... probably immediately right after A/D conversion.

• I wonder if the KPA is technically capable to run 2 seperate rigs or stacks with the first rig/stack being applied to the left channel only and the second one to the right channel only.
    Somewhere inside the KPA the signal chain switches from mono to stereo and I would guess this happens pretty early ... probably immediately right after A/D conversion.

Considering that is everything mono 'till fx in X I would guess is there that happens, after Stack

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• ckemper never replied to this thread. All threads dealing with this kind of problem have never found a beginning of solution. However a lot of people ask the same thing.

• When I say "ckemper never replied to this thread", this is not at all an expression of discontentment or anything else. It's just the fact that the title of the thread is "[ckemper's help needed] Profiling two mixed amps". As ckemper never replied, I can imagine that there is, today, no easy way to give a solution to such a problem and we know there are a lot of threads (old and new ones) dealing with this.

Did you try to verify by yourself if the procedure has got sense? It would seem to me the quickest possible response...

Completely right. Maybe my solution works but several people proposed solutions too (on this thread, on other threads) and I just wish that one works provided that the resultat is good enough.

Maybe it's on the roadmap in several months/years ?

• Uh, sorry if my post came through in the wrong way :)

But seriously, if you're curious, why don't you try? I've no interest in the possibility, but I realize it would be fun for many.
    You might come up with something here :thumbup:

if you're curious

Of course I am.

why don't you try?

My (big) problem is : I just have Sonar X1 LE and I don't know how to use it well !!! I am so sorry and this prevents me to try a lot things and not only this solution. I have first to look for tutorials...

but I realize it would be fun for many.

:thumbup:

Edited once, last by VanHalen ().

• My (big) problem is : I just have Sonar X1 LE and I don't know how to use it well !!! I am so sorry and this prevents me to try a lot things and not only this solution. I have first to look for tutorials... but I realize it would be fun for many.

Well, that would be me. I'm a SONAR X3 user and I live for this kind of stuff. However, you're admittedly wading into Advanced Territory here and might want to consider whether this is the most productive way you could be spending your time. The easiest way to create a multi-amp profile is not to use a DAW at all, actually. A small outboard mixer would be the way to go, particularly if that outboard mixer can phase-invert at least one channel. I mention this because it's common for two amps of different design to be phase inverted; Michael Wagner has a custom four-input rack mixer/splitter/phase flipper dedicated just for this purpose and it's the most straightforward way to go about it.

Secondly, there are a number of soft-amp plugins that perform dual-layering (Revalver & PodFarm come to mind) and I suggest you play with these first in SONAR to convince yourself as to whether the concept has enough merit for you to warrant jumping through all the hoops. And of course, there's also reamping - my first love, LOL. No extra gear required! I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that amp layering is subtle. If you're just starting out, your aesthetics are probably not where they need to be to get the most from this technique and there's a lot of better things you could be doing to improve your tone (mike positioning, EQ, gain staging, on and on...) Don't confuse the icing for the cake.

Anyway, PM me if you have any SONAR-related questions that can be answered briefly, and good luck!

-djh