High volume

• Hi,

I have taken my KPA to different rehearsals and noticed that on most mixers I have to turn the gain / trim knob way down, because the output of the KPA is so high.

I am familiar with the volume knob, the master volume and the master menu that lets you set the levels individually, linking volumes to the master etc.

It seems to me that the range between no signal and too much signal is quite narrow, and I'm sure there's a good way to set the levels properly.

- Am I missing an important functionality?
    - In which order do you set the different volumes? Is there an effect on the overall tone?

I'm using the XLR out only, no monitor...

Thanks,

M.

• Once you have you rig volumes set do not change them. Change the volume to the main through the main ouput via theoutput button. All mixers will hhave variations but you can get there without changing your other values. I've done this almost every new update even though I change nothing on my rig volumes.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I'm using the XLR out only, no monitor...

This is your problem. I guess you are using XLR cables. This means u are probably using the XLR inputs on your mixer too. This way you will input your signal into the mic preamps of the mixer. These inputs are designed for mic levels. However, the KPA will send out line levels which can overload your mic preamps.

Use TS or TRS outputs and cables and use the line inputs of your mixer. TRS will give you balanced signals if your mixer supports this.

• This is your problem. I guess you are using XLR cables. This means u are probably using the XLR inputs on your mixer too. This way you will input your signal into the mic preamps of the mixer. These inputs are designed for mic levels. However, the KPA will send out line levels which can overload your mic preamps.

Use TS or TRS outputs and cables and use the line inputs of your mixer. TRS will give you balanced signals if your mixer supports this.

Correct, I was using an XLR/XLR cable from the KPA to the mixer. As far as I know, there's usually not a way to bypass a mixer's internal preamp when using the XLR input.
    It's not a problem to take a jack cable instead of an XLR next time, but I'd also like to understand the concept of how the KPA's XLR output is meant to be used.

Is the mixer's preamp always bypassed when I use the jack input - no matter if it's a TS / TRS cable?
    Or the other way around - is an XLR to TRS the only "correct" way to use those outputs on the KPA while XLR to XLR is always "wrong"?

• I always use the XLR for the mixer and the only think I do is turning the gain on the channel all the way down. I run the Master on the Kemper at -20db and have no problem.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I always use the XLR for the mixer and the only think I do is turning the gain on the channel all the way down. I run the Master on the Kemper at -20db and have no problem.

+1 Exactly what I do. Also going XLR and also running the master at -20db and so far the soundguys all said that the level they get from me is perfect.

• Correct, I was using an XLR/XLR cable from the KPA to the mixer. As far as I know, there's usually not a way to bypass a mixer's internal preamp when using the XLR input.
    It's not a problem to take a jack cable instead of an XLR next time, but I'd also like to understand the concept of how the KPA's XLR output is meant to be used.

Is the mixer's preamp always bypassed when I use the jack input - no matter if it's a TS / TRS cable?
    Or the other way around - is an XLR to TRS the only "correct" way to use those outputs on the KPA while XLR to XLR is always "wrong"?

Most modern mixers will allow you to reduce the input amplification on the mic inputs to a degree where the input signal gets as low as with a line level input. The use of XLR is preferred in most cases since it always uses balanced connections which makes it more robust to signal degradation and interference.

However, some mixers or outboard devices do not like line levels at the XLR mic inputs which seems to be the case with your device.

• This wasn't my mixer. :)
    I have a small, rather cheap mixer at home that doesn't have the problem.
    The thing is that if you turn down the gain / trim on the mixer completely, you get no signal at all. Once you turn it up a tiny bit, it's already too much.

Let me re-phrase the question: How do you properly deal with a line level signal that is received via XLR?
    I'm not aware of (smaller live) mixers that provide an option to bypass the mixer's internal preamp.

• Just decrease the main out output of the Kemper from the Master menu, it goes down to no output. You can set it to mic level if you want.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Let me re-phrase the question: How do you properly deal with a line level signal that is received via XLR?

Like me and all the others have said, there is no need to deal with it because it should not be a problem for most mixers. Every Mixer should have a switch called "pad" or "-20 db" which should get rid ot that problem. As a backup solution you could get a XLR Female to TRS adapter cable. If a mixer really cannot handle the KPA output, you could connect this cable to the TRS jack on the mixer and thus bypass the mic preamp.

• Huh, I wasn't aware that XLR goes to Mic preamp but TRS doesn't for non-line-only inputs! I assumed both were mic inputs (can you tell I don't read manuals! ;)

Good info and advice in this post, thanks all.