KPA rack or powerack? plus simul 2:90

• I am about to buy a KPA in the rack format but I dont know if I should buy the rack or powerrack version. I currently own a Mesa Boogie Simul 2:90 power amp and I wonder if that would be a good match for the Kemper or if there is definitely a good advantage of using the built in power amp in the Kemper poweramp. Would the Simul 2:90 color the tones too much? Would it be powerful enough for a solid state amp? Thanks in advance for your comments

• I agree.
    The coloration of the Simul 2:90 is neglectable IMO.
    The cab is what colors most.

OTOH there are several poweramps available that can power any cab (FRFR and guitar cab) that weigh much less than the Mesa.
    You might take this into consideration.
    I'd think you will be better off with the powered rack.

• I will be using a Mesa Boogie rectifier cab 2x12 with vintage 30's. Do you think I wont be getting tones that are truthful to original lets say marshall amps-cabs?

• They'll sound like a Marshall through your 2x12. If you want to remain truthful to the original you must go FRFR.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Hi ecervantes...............well, here you got me using KPA (lunchbox), mesa 2:90, two 2 x 12 V30 cabinet. so it sounds a lot like you are having, right?
    take a look at this picture: first gig of the 2013 tour - kemper first in line

it is true: the 290 weighs something about 15 kg which is consistent. so if you buy a rack version and put everything together I think you will have a pack to work your arms out: at the end of the story you will have some biceps and triceps that will make women whistle!

personally, I use the mesa in every situation except when I have to travel flying. The mesa does colour the sound but in such a beautiful way, I would say, and anyways, as the others said, not so much. Consider the fact that when you crank the mesa a little it would add some warm tube distortion overall which is so sweet.

my two cabinets are wired at 4 ohm giving me 65 watts per cabinet. in this way, the speaker gets to move before compared to a 120 or higher cabinet.

In other words, the 290 is able to fairly move the speaker even at low volume, contributing to an even better sound. all I have to care is to not exceed the 290 volume or I'll blow my speakers.

So, I would say that there are advantages and disadvantages by chosing the things, as always.

KPA+290+V30 Pro
    - the sound is huge, the volume is huge, and the sound yields, according to me, to what the amps heads can give: the carachteristic guitar hero head sound.
    this combination you will use the KPA as a preamp, basically.

KPA+290+V30 cons
    - the weight is consistent and you will have to be careful at the 290 tubes so that you will have to carry it with care, both in moving it prior and most of all after the gig where the tubes are still warm and every bump can damage the tubes. In addition the 290 tends to get hot due to the big transformers inside. don't know what year is yours but mine belongs to a series that had a sort of misplaced fan which was not very efficient in cooling down the temperature. while this can be normal for a power amp, I dont know if this can be of harm to the kemper rack. so you might need to implement the ventilation inside the rack. dont' know if you're touring with it but while all the work connected to the building of such a rack is ok when using it professionally, don't know if it is worth for an amateur use. that's up to you

the other combinations suggested are just fine. especially I heard that the matrix amps are capable to handle both full range speakers and guitar one, and the weight (extremely low) makes it a cinch. in addition the volume granted is very high.

my final suggestion is to test try the kpa with the mesa. it is worth the try, trust me. the only negative thing that can happen is that you'll love it so much that you will keep the mesa+kpa+v30 combo.

hope this helps

michael

p.s.1: if using it with the 290 don't forget to 'uncab' the kpa and
    p.s.2: what i wrote is just my opinion

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• thanks Gianfranco.........hope this helps our friend, right?

a final note on this, is a must, addressed to ecervantes: every combination you choose I suggest you don't forget the KPA use directly on the PA. I'm almost addicted to the KPA+290 but when recording the KPA gets you the best reuslts when used directly to the DAW/PA.
    not too many players have a room to mic the speakers and if they have it chances are they have no pro equipment for these. on the other hand, the KPA cab system is the best you can have of both speakers and mics.

in addition, the use of a direct to PA KPA can happen in those live joints where you cannot have your rig because of poor equipment or too small places.

so enjoy a powerful guitar sound with the 290 or matrix amp but enjoy the KPA in a direct use.

take care

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

Edited 2 times, last by michaelmellner ().