Preparing to use the KPA live for the first time ...

• Hey gang,

I am preparing to use the Kemper live for the very first time (and am both excited and worried) - and I have the rigs Im going to use, organized and ready for it. Planning to drive the switching over MIDI - as part of a sequence that's playing backing tracks.

I plan to switch effects off and on, make volume-level changes etc., and switch profiles as part of this. Im hoping to get a list of tips/tricks/gotchas for live work (since many of you guys are already using it live with much success).

I've been reading threads where some guys had issues with live switching, and am hoping to get tips on how they've managed to work around them.

Thanks for any help!

• Haven't tried going live with it yet as i've no gigs planned before next week, but note that the switching on the KPA has a delay and can sometimes cause aggressive pops when switching if it's got sound going through it when it does.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Hi gorillabendz,

i´ve used the Kemper like 40 times live by now and didn´t had any trouble at all. The only thing i´ve noticed is how different the rigs through various PA Systems sounded, compared to my studio monitors. Might be the reason that i tweak the sound at relatively low volume (neighbours, you know) and underestimate the power of the higher frequencies. So, if you play through your own PA set it up like you would for the gig and check the sound you´re getting from FOH. Some rigs i found to be to dull at home made it that way into my LIVE favorites folder.

• Thanks guys!

Paults - I have just begun programming Fx transitions - my effects are pretty standard - and save a few transitions to delays and others - I didnt really find pops and clicks when switching (Ideally - there shouldnt be - because I have a bunch of real pedals that switch seamlessly - and the Kemper should do the same, no?). But I can live with this for now - or work around it somehow when the need arises (hopefully). Are there any 'known good' methods to ensure that there are no glitches while switching effects within a patch/profile? I am ensuring that Im not switching between radically different gain transitions - just as I would with a real rig. Program changes are made between song sections or even songs (never mid verse or chorus). Im hoping this is enough?

Flitzefinger - thanks for the vote of confidence man! I dont have any doubts with regards to sound - I've been tweaking profiles using a mixture of my monitor cans and the PA I have. I've used the KPA in arrangements and it really shines :). My only worry is with regards to posts I've seen saying that the KPA freezes or suddenly lapses into weird sounds mid song - and the user had to power-cycle it to get it back.

Quitty - when you say 'delay' is this when switching entire rigs - or when turning effects on and of within a single rig? Also, I think that this significantly improved with 1.7.0 - Less Delay in switching rigs, i.e.

Thanks much for the help guys. Am really looking forward to incorporate the KPA into the soundstage and looking to some of our experienced user base to chime in and provide insights if any.

Cheers!

• Hey viabcroce - I did read the WikPA :) (It has it's own special place on my desktop!). Andy had chosen to freeze his KPA (at the time when this was written) to an older firmware - he probably is running the latest version since then - but I didnt know. I am running 1.6.1 currently - have been contemplating an upgrade to 1.7.0 but am wary about going to a public beta for a gig.

Just wanted to get a more current picture about live performance issues with the KPA - that's all.

• The last time my KPA did unwanted things was many months ago and it was an early beta then. ;)
    The profiler is rock stable for any serious work incl. gigging.
    I'd also like to point out that I have experienced absolutely no switching lag between my rigs (which admittedly don't vary too much from rig to rig).

• Hey viabcroce - I did read the WikPA :) (It has it's own special place on my desktop!). Andy had chosen to freeze his KPA (at the time when this was written) to an older firmware - he probably is running the latest version since then - but I didnt know. I am running 1.6.1 currently - have been contemplating an upgrade to 1.7.0 but am wary about going to a public beta for a gig.

Just wanted to get a more current picture about live performance issues with the KPA - that's all.

Sure! I really can't see any issue specifically related to live use, apart from the organization of space, logistics, monitoring...

You might always try 1.7 for yourself, restoring a backup is a matter of minutes ;)

Let us know how it went!

• Thanks Doc! The only transitions that may happen while Im playing are volume changes, or effects on/off. Rig switching will happen in between sections. I will definitely not be playing during the switch - but have seen a couple of surprises when switching rigs on 1.6.1 where the volume was not at levels that I expected on playing the new rig after the switch (I was just testing out rigs then - and had autoload enabled - assumed that things may work fine with a live rig). I dont have a pedal that will allow me to get the transitions Im looking for - currently looking into buying and taming an FCB1010 - waited too long for the KFC (would be perfect if it was here).

Viabcroce, I am planning to load up 1.7.0 tonight :) - especially since it improves on switching time and has some fixes. Im hoping that I dont run into issues big enough to prevent me from using this. Shall definitely keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys!

• Haven't tried 1.7 yet on account of the alleged tuner issues, but that might do the trick.
    Complete rig switching isn't immediate in 1.61 and can take up to almost a second, quite understandably. It's a big amount of data to load.

Enjoy it, and let us know how it went!

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Out of the first switch after boot I've never experienced a 1 second lag, even with totally different rigs... ?(

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Thanks Quitty and guitarnet70. 1 second delay though (WOW that seems like a lot)? - I've never switched rigs over MIDI yet - it seems quick using the browse/autoload function - I would imagine it's the same through MIDI, no?

It's almost the weekend (in a couple of hours) :) - will try some tests (and 1.7.1) out tonight and report back.

• Out of the first switch after boot I've never experienced a 1 second lag, even with totally different rigs... ?(

Actually, you're probably right and i was exaggerating. :pinch:

Using FW 1.6.1, got 84 rigs loaded to the KPA,
    switching via MIDI from Anderton's Cornford with modified amp parameters, wah, gate, delay, reverb and a studio EQ ->
    to Mudrock's Bogner with modified parameters and studio EQ.

Switching takes slightly over half a second and occasionally includes a loud pop if i'm playing while switching.
    I'm wondering if the 1.7 improvement is drastic :?:

OP - waiting on your report. I've got a gig in a week and it seems like you're testing the waters for me:P

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I've been gigging now almost 3 weeks with 1.7 and had no problem, but I must say that I always hit the switch during a playing pause, never holding a note or a chord.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff