Posts by gorillabendz

Hey folks,

The dreaded moment has arrived. Like a pre-teen missing a lot of front teeth :), my beautiful profiler is now missing a few LEDs, and the decline is accelerating in the past few months.

How can I fix this? This seems like a day one issue - I have other gear, whose LEDs have lasted through their lifetime. I cant get over the fact that that my beautiful Kemper is not so beautiful anymore :(

Still sounds stellar, and feels like a tank though!!

Thanks for any pointers in advance.

Hey folks!

My Kemper hasn't had much love lately. Work has been keeping me away X(.

Got some time last weekend, and was able to lay down a few tracks with the Kemper (guitar and bass) and the VirusTi (two-for-one dreaminess 8)). Here's my humble attempt to recreate the magic of "Breathe", by Pink Floyd, one of my favorite songs to date. Wished I could have done better on the Vocals though.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Have to add, the Kemper is still magical, enjoyed every bit of recording this, hope you enjoy it as well!

Hey guys,

So, I've been working with Kemper support on this - and I've sent them all they've asked for. They've been pretty quick with their replies, and their assessments (awesome job you guys!), but no solid explanation of why this happens, or clear acknowledgement of an issue even. Either this is a non-issue according to them, or they're still trying to figure out why this happens. Either way, I dont know yet, but continue to wait patiently.

One thing I learnt though, is that cutting off the noise gate to '0' definitely reduces the crackling sound considerably. That being said, I still wonder why it happens when it does (i.e. at the tail end of the chord). Over the past few days I've been playing around with many clean profiles that I have, and most of them exhibit this issue (the signature is the same), some more than others. I think it has to do with the volume levels of the rigs as well. The input/outputs are still green though, and this issue happens regardless of whether I use the front input or the alternate input.

Im still not very pleased with the crackling sound at the end of the chord in some profiles, but this gives me a workaround to work with until the real issue is figured out (and hopefully a fix surfaces), so onward and upward now.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you guys (Kemper support) isolate the issue.

Hi Trazan, I have seen this issue with many profiles (mainly clean). I have recreated it with a Kemper Amps stock profile (since those are supposed to be some sort of reference, are they not?). I'm sorry to say that I have not tried many things to isolate the sound, since there are many possibilities that need to be tried out - and my time with the KPA is quite limited on most days. Some profiles exhibit this condition clearer than others, mainly because the volume and EQs are different, but IMHO, I think it's the same issue (since I hear the same 'crackling' signature at the same point in time).

Now, I should be honest and say that this 'noise' is probably not a big deal because I really like what I hear tone-wise, apart from this - but what really confuses the heck out of me is the fact that some of you guys dont see the issue, when I (and others) can clearly hear it on most clean profiles I have. The only reason I didnt post that I hear it on EVERY clean profile at 0 GAIN, is simply because I did not try it out on every clean profile (or profile with gain turned down to 0) :).

Anyway, have sent required objects to Kemper support, it's only a matter of time I guess.

OK, sent all the required files to Kemper support (recordings, KPA backup etc.). I definitely hear the issue at even very low levels. Hoping to hear an explanation at the least. Definitely not my pickups, I hear the same with different guitars. My signal chain is pretty clean as far as I can tell.

It happens on a factory stock profile (no effects, no stomps). I even tried turning off the tone stack as someone suggested. Still hear it though.

To be honest, I've had my KPA for nearly 2 years and have not had this problem ?(

Exactly what im confused about, and would like some answers. I got a reply from Support asking me to send them a recording. Shall work with them and see what comes of it.

I do know that the sound starts at the tail end of the note/chord being played, and not throughout. I only state this because I was asked to check my pickups, grounding etc. etc.

Just looking for an explanation, and/or a solution for this issue that's all :).

So, is this a real issue or is it just a small number of users seeing this? Would really appreciate a reply with regards to this.

Not sure how to work around this at the moment either. I've tried all my guitars, and they seem to exhibit the same issue. Is there something Im doing wrong?

Thanks!

EDIT: Just logged a support request for this issue at the Kemper site as well ... not sure what the exact procedure for logging a ticket is (I just followed the support TAB and created a comment), but hoping to get some answers with regards to this.

Hey djazz,

Im using a MOTU 828 MkIII traveller, no issues here. Going into a MAC (Logic Pro) though, not sure what you're going into. Of course, I set the MOTU to sync the clock from SPDIF. I've not had issues with my older MOTU 828 MkII as well.

HTH.

Hey Guys,

Yep, I have heard it as well. System resets dont seem to fix it. I just noticed it on 2.4.2 as well (yesterday) - this was with a clean Kemper stock Profile (no fancy stuff/effects enabled). I've posted about this earlier as well - but got no response. Looks like it's a well known issue.

This thread links to recordings as well (The recording is off a TAF profile I think) ...

Fizz on Kemper (audio clip)

Hoping to see a solution soon ...

Thanks for the detailed explanation CK, you didnt have to provide one, but you did. And for that I am thankful. Just to be clear - I never claimed that the GT-Pro could slave up to my audio interface, just that it 'seemed' to work when I connected it up for the first time. But then so did the Kemper (and I never gave it a second thought for reasons that shall soon be clear).

I guess ... I underestimated the complexity of SPDIF clocking in the MI. I work in telecom, and in our world, deriving clock information from an encoded data stream is considered pretty basic technology. Again, my mistake to expect the same from a different bunch of equipment, but I remember reading somewhere that the SPDIF data stream does contain the encoded clock - and again, I think this is how my current interface can slave up to the Kemper (or any other SPDIF source), right? It must be deriving the clock from the source signal, right? Anyway - this was largely the reason for my assumptions.

Again, I do understand that this may be a hardware limitation (decisions made in choosing parts early on, etc. etc.) that cannot be worked around, or it may require some crazy stuff to happen at a very low level to make it work. In either case, not trying to be a smart-ass here (even though Im sure many of you are thinking this right now :)). Neither am I expecting that this should work someday, because it's really not a big deal for me. My interface has decent converters, and I am very happy with audio performance as it stands today. I am also more than thrilled with what the Kemper can do - I mean ... the features on this thing are simply amazing - second to none. Add that to clean pristine audio - and Im happier than a pig in $hit :)!

More importantly - the attitude demonstrated by CK and the mods here at the forums is ultra-cool, and I like the fact that the product I bought is so well supported. I mean who can ignore the amazing updates (Just updated to 2.4.2 Release, as I type this, and I still like what I hear). Looking forward to writing some awesome stuff tonight ...

BTW, My Older MOTU 828 Mk II does have Word clock in/out connectors, so can the Kemper somehow use this? I think not, since I dont see anywhere I can connect this up. Is there some way this could work?

Keep up the awesome work team Kemper!'

I am afraid that your GT-8 does not provide slave clocking. It simply lacks the required spdif input or wordclock input to receive an external master signal.
    Did I overlook something?

Hey Thanks for the reply Cristoph,

I meant the GT-Pro, not the GT-8 (I have both of them). But it's my mistake I suppose ... my GT-Pro did work with SPDIF (didnt use it long enough since it has USB audio) when I tried it out first.

But now that I think of it - the kemper also works with my MOTU interface, if I dont slave the interface to the Kemper. The first time I used the SPDIF interface - this just worked, and I didnt think it was such a big deal (just thought this worked out of the box), slave clocking i.e.. But as time went by - I realized that this was probably one of those magical things, which would work initially, and then the clocks would slowly drift apart or something, and then it would not work. I did see issues once in a while when I turned it on, and I heard some really strange sound artifacts. This is when I started slaving the audio interface to the Kemper.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up CK! I'll just have to modify my workflow a little to get the job done. Like I said, I didnt know that SPDIF slave clocking was such a big deal. Sometimes we assume too much I guess ;).

+1 for this. I've really started using the Kemper (in the studio) once again, and I now find this to be a non-trivial process. Especially since my setup has grown to accommodate more stuff over the past year.

BTW, 2.4.2 sounds awesome, and was quite pleasantly surprised with all the goodies in there now. Slave clocking is definitely a necessity at this point, even my lowly GT-8 does this, was quite surprised that the Kemper still does not.

Most devices that support sleep/hibernate/suspend features have processors and motherboards that have hardware support for this. There's nasty stuff that needs to happen in hardware to make this happen.

Im mildly bothered about the long bootup as well. I want to get to those heavenly tones as fast as friggin possible when I turn the green monster on :).

Not sure it's possible with the current silicon on the Kemper. This is an awesome idea though.

[EDIT] I take it back ... they click - albeit very softly ... almost to the point where they're smooth. I had to try them out when the unit was OFF to notice the click (go figure). Just realized that I never turned the knobs when the unit was off. You learn something new, every day I guess ;). Sorry for the confusion - BURKHARD is right!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, Im sorry - but my browse and type knobs dont click. They're smooth. They do help me cycle through stuff ... but they DONT click.

You do mean an intrinsic, tactile CLICK sound, and not a 'generated sound', right?

I have used them many times, but never felt a click ;).

Thanks ...

Hey Gang,

So I was at the Kemper site today - downloading the "

Kemper Profiler The Deeper View and Reference Manual in English "

It downloaded fine, but when I tried to open it using my PDF editor, it said that it was corrupt. Is anyone else seeing the same thing? I'm able to open up, for example - the MIDI parameter reference with the same PDF editor just fine.

Im interested in the Firmware 2.2 version of the Parameter reference.

Thanks ;)!